2018 Independent Channel Growth Tops Expectations
Bill Sinn | February 26, 2019
As the first quarter of the new year winds down, optimism is high among agents and brokers in the independent insurance channel. That's because they just closed the books on their best year since 2014 and foresee record growth in 2019, according to Reagan Consulting's Organic Growth and Profitability (OGP) survey for the fourth quarter (Q4) of 2018.
The survey shows "a convergence of impressive upward trends in each major line of business," says Kevin Stipe, president of the firm.
OGP participants generated organic growth of 6.1% in 2018, surpassing their projected organic growth rate of 5% for the year. Growth was driven by continued increases in U.S. GDP and commercial pricing. For 2019, OGP participants are forecasting growth of 7%, which would be the highest growth rate since Reagan began its quarterly OGP survey in 2008.
Buyer optimism of agent and broker performance and seller concerns of scale and internal perpetuation planning have fueled what Stipe characterizes as a "frenzy" of mergers and acquisitions (M&A). He says many brokers and agents wondered whether M&A activity could exceed its record-setting pace of 2017 but, "incredibly, deal activity increased by another 7%, reaching 597 announced transactions" in 2018. Two drivers were all-time high valuations and a heavy influx of acquisition capital to private equity-backed brokers.
Agency owners believe that size and scale ensure survival as competition intensifies in the industry, Stipe observes. Small agencies whose owners are facing retirement without a succession plan are also contributing to the increase in transaction count. "Without a viable path to continued independence," these agencies turn to an M&A transaction, Stipe says.
Employee group benefits was the channel's leading performer of 2018, growing organically at a rate of 7.3%. This growth rate was more than 2 percentage points higher than last year's and represents the highest annual growth rate since the OGP survey began in 2008.
Commercial lines' growth rate also increased by more than 2 percentage points from 2017, as the median firm grew its commercial property and casualty business by 6.5% in 2018.
Personal lines business accelerated its growth rate for the third consecutive year to 3.9%, "which ... is the fastest growth rate recorded for personal lines in the 11-year history of the OGP survey," says Stipe.
In terms of profitability, the channel has remained stable over the last four years. In 2018, earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) margin dropped slightly to 20.2%, and contingent revenue, as a percentage of revenue, fell one percentage point. Despite the small drop in profitability, operating margin (which excludes contingent and bonus income) rose slightly in 2018, "implying that brokers and agents were successful in controlling their expenses," says Stipe.
Reagan Consulting has conducted its quarterly survey of agency growth and profitability since 2008, using confidential submissions from nearly 200 midsize and large agencies and brokerage firms. Approximately half of the industry's 100 largest firms participated in this quarter's survey. The OGP survey is the industry's preeminent survey of midsize and large privately held brokers.
For further information and commentary, contact Kevin Stipe at Reagan Consulting, 404.869.2532, kevin@ReaganConsulting.com.
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Nassau Financial Group to Acquire Foresters Life Insurance and Annuity Company from Foresters
- Upstream Security Closes $30 Million Series B Investment from Renault, Volvo Group, Hyundai, Nationwide
- Chisel AI Named as an IDC Innovator for Insurance Sales Automation Solutions
- New Majesco Report Emphasizes the Burning Platform for Insurance Transformation and Market Leadership
- Veruna Named Insurance Technology Company of the Year
- Joint partnership between MedRisk and Raintree Systems to reduce administrative burden and expedite payment for physical therapy
- Hearsay Systems Joins Guidewire PartnerConnect Solution Alliance Program
- Effisoft's Reinsurance Software Named "2019 Software Innovation of the Year" by Reactions Magazine
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE