Arrowhead Deploys Small-to-Medium Commercial Portfolio on Instec Policy System
Staff Writer | May 14, 2020
Instec, the market leader in software for insurance programs and complex commercial insurance, announced today that Arrowhead General Insurance Agency, Inc. has implemented the Instec Policy system for its Arrowhead Core Commercial business.
Arrowhead, a subsidiary of Brown and Brown Inc., is a national program manager for commercial, specialty and personal lines. In 2017, QBE North America selected Arrowhead as program administrator for its small commercial portfolio. The book contains business accounts with under $100,000 in premium and is the centerpiece of Arrowhead Core Commercial, the company’s small-to-medium commercial offering.
At the time of the deal, QBE and Arrowhead cited “an easier and more efficient underwriting experience for agents and their clients” as a benefit of Arrowhead’s policy platform. QBE and Arrowhead stated that the Arrowhead platform would “make product improvements easier to execute to meet the evolving needs of the small commercial marketplace.”
Arrowhead selected Instec as the platform for the QBE book based on prior experience with the company. Instec’s policy system had been in use on Arrowhead’s Manufactured Housing Program since 2016. Arrowhead saw the system’s support for commercial, multi-line, ISO-based policies as a good fit for the QBE business.
Arrowhead took advantage of Instec’s self-configuration tools to create many of the QBE book’s 78 custom coverages on top of the ISO content included with the system. In addition, the company used Ghostdraft, which Instec also includes with its product, to build nearly 800 custom forms.
“Instec’s ISO library and Ghostdraft were major contributors to the speed of the project,” said Walter Grote, President of Arrowhead Core Commercial. The Instec system provided 95 percent of what we needed before we started.”
Instec’s APIs facilitated integration with Arrowhead’s online portal, Arrowhead Exchange. Instec Policy provides the “black box” rating and issuance engine, while the portal provides the front-end user experience.
The QBE book was transitioned to Arrowhead’s platform state-by-state in less than 24 months. The products were first refiled using the most recent ISO updates, and the first three states went into production less than nine months from the start of the project. The remaining states were added monthly, three to four at a time, over the following year. Today, all 50 states and the District of Columbia have been launched, with seven lines of business.
“Our application of Instec’s system is a prime example of Arrowhead’s commitment to deploy innovative technology to create tailored products and simpler processes for our producers and clients,” said Grote.
Arrowhead believes that the Core Commercial platform has proven so successful that it is now transitioning other program business in its portfolio to the Instec Policy system.
About Arrowhead General Insurance Agency Inc.
Arrowhead General Insurance Agency, Inc., headquartered in San Diego, is a national insurance program manager for commercial and personal products and is one of the largest in the U.S. with $1.3 billion written premium in 2019. Arrowhead's relationships with over 20 top-ranked insurance carriers provide stability for its nationwide network of agents. Arrowhead is a subsidiary of Brown & Brown, Inc. (NYSE: BRO), which is ranked by Business Insurance magazine as one of the top 10 largest global independent insurance intermediaries. For more information, please visit www.ArrowheadGrp.com.
Instec’s unique approach to insurance systems enables P&C carriers, MGAs and MGUs to migrate, launch, or expand programs and complex commercial offerings from start to first quote in as little as four weeks. With built-in bureau content and reusable business rules, Instec systems provide a platform for innovation with reduced risk. In addition, cloud-based deployment and subscription-based pricing enable insurers to get started at a low cost of entry and scale up affordably as the business grows. To learn more, visit instec-corp.com.
QBE North America Operations is a division of QBE Insurance Group Limited, one of the world's largest insurance and reinsurance companies, rated A+ by Standard & Poor’s and A (Excellent) by A.M. Best.* Located in 27 countries, QBE is operational in all key global insurance markets and considered a leading underwriter within their chosen markets. QBE has 11,000 employees worldwide.
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- IMS Announces New Industry Partnership with Conversational AI Platform Provider, SmarTek21
- PLNAR Announces Allan C. Robinson III Has Joined the Board of Directors
- ISB Global Services Joins Guidewire PartnerConnect Solution Alliance Program; Publishes Ready-for-Guidewire Integration
- DataCubes Announces Company Name Change to Convr
- ClarionDoor Unveils New MGA Hub
- "Summer of Accelerate" to Deliver Continuing Education to Independent Agencies
- FRISS Partners with eviid to Help Prevent Fraud
- Messagepoint Launches Rationalizer
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Without a very strong focus on data as a strategic and vital corporate asset, insurers will struggle to keep up with the necessary changes in the “new... READ MORE
How does a small- to medium-sized business (SMB) begin attempting to understand the digital ecosystem customer... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE