Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
Staff Writer | June 01, 2020
Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
Co-Founder and Chief Product Officer of Benekiva
Bobbie Shrivastav is co-founder and chief product officer of Benekiva, a software company whose mission is to bridge the gap between life insurance policies and their intended beneficiaries by transforming the claims process from intake to payout, making policy changes seamless and digital, and helping carriers retain more assets by engaging their advisory force and licensed agents. www.benekiva.com
Please tell me a little about your professional background.
I am a technologist and started my career as a developer. Since then, I have been part of the entire IT value chain -- from the infrastructure side, development side, business analysis and project management side, and even security side. I have developed software, managed enterprise level projects and programs, managed developers, business analysts, and project managers, led commercialization and innovation efforts, and more. I’ve worked for organizations such as AON, PepsiCo, the mortgage insurance division of AIG, and Center for Creative Leadership prior to committing full-time into my entrepreneurship endeavors. Since 2015, when I started my entrepreneurship journey, Benekiva is the third company where I’ve served on the founding team.
I love to learn and have an MBA from Wake Forest University, Masters in Project Management from Western Carolina University, and numerous project management certifications from Project Management Institute (PMI) and Scrum Alliance.
What was the impetus for starting Benekiva?
In 2016, I traveled to Des Moines, Iowa to visit family and for business. I had the opportunity to meet with several members of the business community, which led to an introduction to Brent Williams (Benekiva’s founder, CEO and president). When my business partner and I met Brent and heard about the research and the problem in the life insurance space related to claims and beneficiary management, we both decided to join Brent as founders.
The research that Brent conducted showed four main problems in the life insurance space:
- Claims processing – a very manual, document-heavy, paper-based process
- Legacy systems – It takes an average of six to eight systems to process one claim, and most insurers are still using mainframe/green screen applications for claims
- Unclaimed property – A growing issue, with an annual average of 1 billion a year.
- Changing laws and regulations – Regulations and state-specific laws such as penalty interest, due diligence requirements continue to change.
We asked the question: How can carriers keep up when processes are manual, systems are old, and laws keep changing?
Please briefly describe how Benekiva works.
Benekiva is a software-as-a-solution (SaaS) focused to solve these problems using the following modules:
- Claims – We offer a 100% digital claims solution, from claim intake to payout. Our technology can handle various forms of intake -- web, SMS, even faxes. We can integrate with any system, including green screen. We have developed our own configurator to map and convert data, and our document generation and facilitation engine allows us to digitize documents, including generating correspondence and statements. We have workflow, reporting, and calculation engines, all powered by our rules-based engine that can configure any product, workflow, and process, from simple to complex.
- Retention – This is where we integrate agents and/or advisory forces into the claims process, allowing them to serve the beneficiary.
- Compliance – Rules and workflow to tackle unclaimed property and escheatment laws.
- Servicing – Ability for carriers to use our technology for servicing needs.
Can you cite a specific case study where your product helped an insurer?
Most recently, we’ve helped carriers respond to challenges brought by COVID-19, enabling them to easily move their claims operations to work from home with no drop in productivity or issues with claims processing. One client using our claims module, Homesteaders Life Company, is experiencing business as usual, or even better than usual. Homesteaders Chairman, President and CEO Steve Shaffer says, "With Benekiva's ability to work anywhere, anytime, and any device during COVID-19, it has been business as usual for our claims staff and most importantly, we have been able to uphold our superior servicing standard to our beneficiaries."
Do you believe there is a new urgency in processing life insurance claims during the COVID-19 crisis?
Claims has been a key customer service issue even before COVID-19. Now, more than ever, it is also a business continuity issue. Carriers that want to uphold their superior servicing standards are shifting their focus to tools that make it easier for their staff and customers to optimize their processes for claims and servicing.
What do you believe is the biggest challenge for life insurers in today’s insurance market?
The biggest challenge is the ability to retain the asset. In our research, after a claim is filed, less than 4% of asset returns in the form of new business. How can it, when claims processes are long, manual, and lack adequate communication? This is why we created our retention module. By engaging agents and/or advisory force into the claims process, carriers will retain assets, serve beneficiaries, and fulfil the promise they made to the policyholder.
What areas of insurtech are you especially excited about?
I get very excited when I see tools for carriers and agents that automate what is needed while providing a human touch where needed. I recently did a podcast on the importance of being humane. As a technologist, I understand the importance of technology. The key is to have a healthy balance and offer options – human or self-service.
I also get excited about data. As a platform, we love integrating with data providers to enrich and make lives easier for our carriers. Our premise is to make the process as frictionless as possible for the claim staff and the end user, whether that is the policyholder or the beneficiary. With the right integration, data can drive a lot of efficiency, trigger points without creating strain in the process.
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- IAT Insurance Group Selects One Inc for Digital Claims Payments
- Majesco Implements Oracle Cloud HCM
- Ohio Mutual Insurance Group Partners with Centric Consulting to Develop New Mobile App
- Acrisure Acquires Tulco’s Artificial Intelligence Insurance Business
- Wolverine Mutual Insurance Company Goes Live on the BindExpress Suite from SpeedBuilder Systems
- IMS Extends Telematics SDK Partnership with Onlia
- Risk Placement Services Implements Instec Policy System for Public Entity Program
- Protective Insurance Selects Majesco for Commercial Auto, Workers' Comp
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Denise Garth of Majesco examines how insurance can tap into the synergy between companies and customers that helps meet the needs of all participants... READ MORE
Today's MGAs, fueled by changing technologies, must follow a “jack-of-all-trades” mindset by wearing many hats and leveraging multiple competencies... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE