Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
Laura Mazzuca Toops | May 13, 2020
The insurance industry has always run on data – actuarial tables, driving records, demographic information. But the insurance data field has been revolutionized by technology and the ability to garner data from a wide swath of sources, the diversity of which would have been unimaginable in years past.
Timely, accurate, cost-effective property data is especially important at a time when extreme weather is increasing exposure to wind, hail, tornado, lightning, earthquakes, floods, and wildfires. HazardHub is a third-generation provider of national property-level hazard risk databases, translating huge amounts of geospatial digital data into easy-to-understand answers, providing risk assessments that can be used to make real-world decisions. The company also tracks manmade risks and elements including brownfields, Superfund cleanups, fire hydrant locations, and leaking underground storage tanks.
We spoke with HazardHub Founder John Siegman on how insurance’s reliance on data has changed over the years, and the role of technology in its acquisition.
Insurance has always relied on data (actuarial, demographic, etc.) for basic operations like rating and claims. What new sources are in use and how is insurance using the data?
There are a lot of new data available from IoT, from better geospatial sources, from drones, from social media, from everywhere. The key to all of this information is in being able to easily integrate it and trust it and then make more automated decisions using it. Also, a lot of this new information is complicated. It needs to be easily explained. Don't mistake simplicity of the explanation for a lack of depth in the information. The use of the data depends on the data itself. Insurers are using our information for prefill, automated rating, marketing and customer education, underwriting and actuary, profitability analysis, and a little bit in claims.
In the past, insurers were challenged with extracting data from their own systems for use. How has insurtech assisted in this process?
Lots of insurers still face that issue as those systems were not designed to be used in the ways that insurers would like to make use of them. Many of our customers establish secondary systems to replicate the base data in their policy admin system but make it more readily available throughout their organization. There are insurtechs that focus on making internal data accessible. We focus on enhancing that internal data to make it actionable.
What are the regulatory and privacy challenges involved in incorporating new data for insurance use?
Everybody gets hung up on this, but it's a lot easier than most companies think it is. Privacy challenges are always a concern with any data that contain personally identifiable information (PII). When you’re using those data, plenty of security procedures have to be in place. That said, there are many good substitutes for PII data. Lots of data, including ours, has no PII. From an ease of implementation, it's always easier to start with non-PII data.
AI and machine learning play pivotal roles in processing large volumes of new data. What other tech tools are changing how insurance uses data?
AI and machine learning require huge amounts of data to be successful in their implementation. Having access to data sources with thousands of variables allows companies to maximize their AI/ML investment. The results of those processes then permeate the organization, from loss/cost models to how a chatbot responds.
How specifically does HazardHub use big data? Has your approach changed in recent years, and how do you see it evolving in the near future?
Our company is big data: Four terabytes of geospatial data, and it will be almost eight terabytes by the end of the year. And we're only focused on one area, geospatial risk. We use a lot of complex data to bring you a simple-to-understand answer regarding any given risk factor. But unlike others, we provide you all of the data that goes into that simplified score. That goes back to regulatory concerns, which are minimal as our customers can explain our scores. Our approach really hasn't changed -- we have constantly been evolving. More data is better. We understand for a lot of customers there is too much data to implement all at once. That said, our customers can store and keep our data forever. When they have time to explore new data correlations and create new decision trees, the data will simply be there for them to access when and however they need it.
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- IMS Announces New Industry Partnership with Conversational AI Platform Provider, SmarTek21
- PLNAR Announces Allan C. Robinson III Has Joined the Board of Directors
- ISB Global Services Joins Guidewire PartnerConnect Solution Alliance Program; Publishes Ready-for-Guidewire Integration
- DataCubes Announces Company Name Change to Convr
- ClarionDoor Unveils New MGA Hub
- "Summer of Accelerate" to Deliver Continuing Education to Independent Agencies
- FRISS Partners with eviid to Help Prevent Fraud
- Messagepoint Launches Rationalizer
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Without a very strong focus on data as a strategic and vital corporate asset, insurers will struggle to keep up with the necessary changes in the “new... READ MORE
How does a small- to medium-sized business (SMB) begin attempting to understand the digital ecosystem customer... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE