Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
Laura Mazzuca Toops | April 06, 2020
The stay-at-home orders and other business disruptions arising from the COVID-19 pandemic have companies in virtually every industry scrambling to solidify remote work teams and introduce other changes to keep them in business.
Hyland, a leading developer of content services and process management software used in a variety of industries, including insurance, is working closely with its customers to help them remain operational now and after the pandemic subsides.
What are the biggest challenges your customers face in the current pandemic environment?
Now more than ever, organizations are seeking the best ways to support remote work as the new normal. But this can be a challenge for those that haven’t set digitization as a priority up to this point. They must start using enterprise technology solutions like content services platforms to securely access information and continue critical business operations during this unprecedented and challenging time.
We’ve been working to help our customers and partners enable a remote workforce, ensure business continuity and efficiently respond the business needs with a flexible, scalable and quickly deployable platform.
Are some businesses still lagging when it comes to working in the cloud?
Unfortunately, there are organizations that, for a variety of reasons, were hesitant to set digital transformation and cloud strategies as a priority who are now being forced to address it. For more than 20 years Hyland has been working with organizations to digitize processes, increase efficiency and establish alternative engagement channels beyond traditionally paper-based or person-to-person models. Providing insurers with access to on-prem and cloud hosted technology and capabilities that enable their associates to access important information to continue business from anywhere.
How are businesses using technology platforms to remain operational?
The social distancing and stay-at-home orders associated with the COVID-19 crisis have generated a lot of visibility on the technology platforms that can help enable a larger remote workforce and support “no-touch” customer engagements. While content services platforms are an essential part of the digitization organizations need right now, these solutions aren’t new and aren’t going away.
Insurers can leverage cloud-based sharing and collaborations platforms. These systems are secure and scalable, allowing employees to access and act on information, keeping processes moving from anywhere or any device with internet access. This supports collaboration on files that need higher security protocols than sending through email. Documents like new claims or applications, financial transactions, contracts and employee or personnel actions are good examples.
Remote work is the key element for business survival during the pandemic. How is Hyland helping businesses with this?
Hyland has identified a number of ways it can help its current customers address needs, including new low-cost or free resources while they are affected by remote work challenges.
Content and communication drive most of the business processes within an organization, including how those businesses interact with customers, partners, suppliers and other external stakeholders. But on-premises deployments of such platforms can be negatively impacted by the inability to have staff onsite, including managing physical infrastructure, troubleshooting issues and ensuring continued availability of the database. Insurers should embrace cloud-based content services to provide secure remote access to critical content. Our OnBase product, hosted in the Hyland Cloud, is a hosting option that can free up time for staff and removes the burden of in-house data maintenance and protected storage, with dedicated support 24/7/365.
Another example is with ShareBase, Hyland’s cloud-based file sharing and collaboration platform, delivers a secure way to access, collaborate and share information to keep processes moving. Hyland is also offering customers additional licensing alternatives to help address escalated needs during this time of crisis.
Your company works with a variety of industries, not just insurance. What specific needs does insurance have that could be affected by operational limitations resulting from the pandemic?
In the midst of a crisis, insurers need to respond proactively – not reactively. A crisis management tracking application empowers organizations to track and support affected individuals in emergencies. If an employee becomes infected with the contagious virus, he may self-report to the HR staff. HR can then track the lifecycle of the incident – from initial self-report through any actions that need to be taken to close the case, such as working from home until healthy, and follow-up with other employees who may have come in contact with that individual. By tracking individual cases, HR can better understand the needs of employees and maximize assistance during their time of need.
Hyland’s crisis management application includes access to a library of crisis management tracking resources including documents, videos and an upcoming on-demand webinar, gathered to support our customers and partners through times of difficulty. The OnBase crisis management application is available for all customer on OnBase 18 or higher, free of charge.
Even during a crisis, insurers must quickly respond to policyholder needs. Self-service models, coupled with advanced field resource management, helps insurers remotely document, inspect and review claims in real time or asynchronously. Modern content services platforms grant access to these solutions from any mobile device to support a variety of workflows from customer collaboration and self-service to professional onsite loss inspection. By creating an end-to-end loss inspection and claims management tool, both customers and employees in the field can collaborate, document and close claims faster than ever before. In addition to the productivity gains, claims collaboration platform are a no-touch engagement – meaning claimants and examiners can follow stay at home orders and social distancing recommendations while still following the outlined process to file a claim. OnBase Onsite is Hyland’s claims collaboration platform that help insurance organizations remotely document, inspect, and review claims.
How can a business’s employees get up to speed to these changes?
Although travel is currently restricted and in-person events cancelled, organizations can still gain the software training and education they need to continue to move their business forward. Many enterprise software providers are building enhanced virtual education and training opportunities to ensure their customers gain the knowledge they need to continue to provide the level of service they promise their customers.
In the coming months, many people may need to take time off to focus on their health and the health of their family members. Leading software providers have long-standing programs in place for temporary coverage for both system administration assistance and developer roles. Whether you need help with that specific offering or are looking to free up your admin to cover another business gap, this offering can augment coverage to ensure critical business process are not disrupted.
- A Digital Wildfire Creates a Burning Platform for Digital Insurance Business Transformation
- Digitalization, COVID-19 Spurring More IT Investment in Cybersecurity
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Encova Insurance Launches New Suite of Personal Lines Products
- Texas Farm Bureau Insurance Expands Lines of Business on Majesco Policy for P&C
- One Inc Acquires Invenger Technologies, Including Invenger-InsurPay
- Hyland Releases Foundation Version of Brainware Intelligent Capture
- Guidewire Software Announces Promotion of PartnerConnect Consulting Partner
- Sapiens CoreSuite for Life Insurance Now Available on Microsoft AppSource
- OneConnect and Swiss Re to Partner on Smart Claims to Europe
- Auto-Owners Insurance Now on IBQ's Commercial Platform
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
The next generation of customer requires a digital platform and robust ecosystem that work together under one common platform across different core... READ MORE
Denise Garth of Majesco examines how insurance can tap into the synergy between companies and customers that helps meet the needs of all participants... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE