Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
Bill Sinn | April 11, 2019
Name: Todd Greenbaum
Title: President, CEO
Company: Input 1
Number of years in the insurance business?
Provide a little background on yourself. How did you get started with Input 1?
When I was 16, my grandfather asked me to write a piece of software to run a new business he had just started. I didn’t have any education in writing code but I liked it, so I took on the project. Throughout the rest of high school and while attending UCLA I finished the application and started to learn the operational aspects of the business. As the years progressed, I put together a team of people who helped me grow the business in all aspects (operations, accounting, sales, marketing, etc). I purchased the business from my grandfather in 1999. I’ve been working at Input 1 for my entire career.
How would you describe Input 1? What makes the company unique?
Input 1 is a technology-enabled billing and payments company. Our greatest asset is the discipline we exercise to ensure that we know the details of anything we get into. Insurance is a complex business and taking the time to understand (a) the operational details that safeguard the business and; (b) the needs of the carriers, agents and policyholders at a very granular level – means that our solutions address the business needs in a very strategic way for the long term.
What has been your vision – your overall strategy -- for making Input 1 the company it is today?
My vision has always been to bring our exceptionally disciplined and detailed set of services and technology to our customers and, in turn, help them improve their efficiencies and the welfare of their customers.
What challenges and barriers have you had to overcome?
Not taking on any outside capital means that we live and die by the sword. Since our war chest is smaller than other companies that have raised tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, we can afford fewer mistakes. So, we have to be right more often.
Optically, it can appear that larger companies are more capable or more sophisticated. In practice, if you’re an expert on your subject matter, you are great at what you do and your team is excited about the product, nothing could be further from the truth. It’s not always easy to convince prospective customers of this. We have to fight harder than our larger competitors in order to prove ourselves even though our solution may be significantly better than what our competitor is proposing and, often times, less expensive and can be implemented more quickly.
With all of that said, we love the challenge and when our customers see what we bring to the table, it is rewarding for everyone.
Looking back 30+ years, is there anything you would have changed or done differently?
If I could turn back the clock 10 years, I would have hired more sales people earlier on. We were too conservative in building out our sales and marketing effort. We should have invested more time and money in those initiatives, and although we are making excellent headway today, I believe we would have broader exposure today had we done that.
What part has technology played in the growth of the company?
Technology has been foundational to our organization since inception. You asked me earlier what my vision was, and I said it was to bring disciplined and detailed services and technology to our customers so that they can help their customers. This can’t be done without great technology.
Our clients look to us to help them grow their business by revolutionizing the customer experience and solving inefficiencies. We monitor customer requests and customer behavior and we identify non-value-added processes. We share our findings with our technology team and work with them so that our platform supports the business as it evolves, enriches the customer experience and lowers costs.
What do you think Input 1 does differently (or better) than other finance/billing companies?
We are not aware of any one company that has addressed every element of the billing and payments process. There are billing solutions that don’t handle payments and there are even more payment solutions that don’t handle billing. Moreover, in each of those disciplines, many solutions don’t handle all aspects. Billing solutions are rigid, and many payments solutions don’t integrate in a thoughtful and logical way.
We can solve the entire value chain. We can bill with unlimited flexibility. We can collect and process payments for anything billed. We can offer installment billing, pay in full and premium financing without having to source other vendors or partners. With our solution, it’s all in the box. This is very powerful – and it’s peak efficiency.
As a single provider of billing, payments and financing, our customers reduce integration headaches and operational redundancies and at the same time they receive a better price because they aren’t having to work with multiple vendors.
Has the insurtech revolution impacted your world in any way? If yes, how?
The insuretech revolution has reset the thinking that insurance carriers have about implementing better technology. It’s important because the insurance industry can no longer afford to lag behind banking and other financial service sectors.
As a technology-enabled service provider, this elevated awareness and interest has opened many doors. We are speaking to more companies than ever before about solving their efficiency problems and bringing valuable and intuitive digital components to the customer experience.
What major technology do you think will have the biggest impact to insurance over the next five years?
To me, IoT devices make a significant impact on the insurance landscape. It’s one thing, for example, to predict how an automobile driver of a certain profile will drive their vehicle, but it’s another thing entirely to know how they are driving. It’s one thing to develop a formula to predict leaks in the piping system of a home and it’s another thing entirely to know when it happens and be able to limit the damage.
While these are not new things, as IoT devices become more ubiquitous, the amount of data available to make risk-based pricing decisions is greater. This will reduce inefficiencies in the allocation of capital in the market. Reliable and targeted pricing will make insurance affordable for more people and more businesses.
If you could change one thing in the insurance world today, what would it be?
I would like to see even greater resources deployed to reduce fraudulent claims. Insurance fraud is, arguably, the most expensive component of an insurance premium. A material reduction in insurance fraud, aside from being the right thing to do, will make insurance more affordable and allow more people and businesses to be properly insured. From both a business and a moral standpoint, nothing is more important.
What is your passion outside of Input 1?
Music and wine. I am an amateur musician in a rock cover band and I own a small winery.
Do you have any words of advice for today’s insurance IT/business leaders?
Constant change is here to stay. Embrace it.
- Electronic Chat with Amit Ranjan, Executive VP and CAO, Xceedance
- Planning for Your Business and Tech Future: Strategies, Plans and Budgets for Rapid Transformation
- Electronic Chat with Jimmy Padia, Founder and CEO, Floatbot
- Gelato with Dots and Sprinkles
- COVID-19 and the Insurtech “Junk Drawer”
- Even “Change” is Different Now. Your Strategic Planning Needs to Be Too.
- The Road Ahead for P&C Insurers: How to Understand Customers Better and Navigate the Post-COVID Insurance Market
- Electronic Chat with Jake Tamarkin, Co-founder and CEO, Everyday Life
- Strategic Planning in the “New Normal” Digital Era of Insurance – Your Next Move
- Insurer Tech Investment Priorities See Major Shift in a Post-COVID World
- Plug and Play Selects 25 Insurtech Startups for Winter Batches
- Digital Transformation – A Top Strategic Priority and New Reality
- Four Steps to Successful Migration of Insurance CCM Applications
- COVID-19 Accelerates Insurance Digitalization to Meet Customer Demand: World InsurTech Report 2020
- Electronic Chat with Greg Williams, Co-Founder, President & CEO, Acrisure
- Electronic Chat with Matt Perlman, Partner, IA Capital Group
- Insurer Digitalization: Are you a Competitor or a Laggard?
- Leaders are Leading and Creating the Future of Insurance Distribution
- 3 Things You Need to Know About No-Code
- Electronic Chat with Adam Kiefer, CEO, Talage
- Underwriting in 3D: Using Data to Adapt and Improve Life Insurance Sales
- Getting Past the "Gelato Syndrome"
- Insurers Know CX/UX is Important, but Don't Agree on Execution, Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Steve Lekas, Branch Insurance
- How AI Can Attract Millennial Talent to the Insurance Industry
- Preventing Data Breaches
- A New Boom for Life Insurance: Shifting Away from the 250-Year-Old Policy Transaction
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Founder and CEO, Openly
- A Digital Wildfire Creates a Burning Platform for Digital Insurance Business Transformation
- Digitalization, COVID-19 Spurring More IT Investment in Cybersecurity
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Founder of Kiwi Introduces Pilotbird, an Insurance Analytics Product Company
- Majesco Announces New Addition to Leadership Team with Appointment of Chief Financial Officer
- SageSure Launches New Line of Small Commercial Insurance Products for Coastal Businesses
- Seibels Appoints Rao Tadepalli Chief Information Officer
- Crawford Technologies Launches CrawfordTech Accessibility Academy
- Quadient Launches Revamped Partner Program Focused on Customer Experience
- Majesco Releases Version 11 R2 of L&A, Group Core Suite
- Cloverleaf Analytics Updates BI and Analytics Platform
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Majesco's Denise Garth talks to Rob Galbraith and Bryan Falchuk about how insurance is rethinking strategic planning in light of tremendous change... READ MORE
Gelato is great. Gelato with sprinkles is even better. Celent's Marty Ellingsworth continues his look at new and improved risk analytics... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE