Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Founder and CEO, Openly
Laura Mazzuca Toops | August 11, 2020
Founded in October 2019 by Ty Harris and Matt Wielbut, Openly is a technology-enabled managing general agency (MGA) for homeowners insurance that has built its products, processes and technology specifically to serve the independent agency channel. Agents are already live on its platform in Arizona, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Kentucky, and the company is currently on track to be live in 10 or more states by year-end, including Massachusetts, Indiana, Ohio, Georgia, and South Carolina. Openly also has plans to launch complementary product lines, such as auto insurance.
Last November, the firm announced a $7.65 million seed round of funding led by Gradient Ventures, Google’s AI-focused venture fund.
In the past, insurance agents have been concerned about insurtech as a threat to their existence. Is this concern justified?
The last 20 years of insurance have been about building giant direct brands, so I don’t blame agents for being worried. However, that model is not good for consumers in the end. What they need and what the next 20 years are about will be transparent choice. For instance, people searching for airfares don’t go to a single airline, but to a comparison site for increasingly transparent choice. That could be a human or a digital travel agent. Similarly, independent insurance agents are seats of that choice.
Independent agencies have an amazing value proposition, but they must keep up with other trends to stay competitive, such as being more digital and meeting with consumers the way they want to interact. Consumers want agents who are increasingly convenient and digital to work with.
If an agent sees his role as waiting for a consumer to call or write asking him to do a basic transition like make a payment, that’s not a winning value proposition. But there is plenty of evidence that shows consumers with moderately complex needs very much value a human touchpoint on more complex advice about coverage -- or just to touch base on whether they’re making a good decision. I know I want that option when I have any kind of financial need.
Agents need to make the transactional stuff feel like a modern experience for customers while retaining for themselves the ability to give advice and expertise on questions they have. And that’s what we help them to do.
How does Openly’s business model differ from traditional insurance?
My background is as an actuary at Liberty Mutual, where I helped build products and personal lines business for them. Our cofounder was VP of tech at Goldman Sachs, where he built software, and at a tech-enabled retail agency in Massachusetts.
Our combined backgrounds helped us create a new homeowners insurance MGA that is highly tech enabled, delivering the first product aimed toward the mass affluent segment of the market, and bringing tons of transparency, speed, and ease of use.
When customers go to an agent, they should know that actual coverage is innovated in ways that are unique. We’re the only carrier in the industry that doesn’t have a limit of coverage A on homeowners’ insurance. Customers don’t select a limit; the coverage is priced based on the home’s characteristics, and we insure the risk for up to $5 million. This removes a lot of hassles, especially at the time of a claim.
Openly’s coverage is also fast and easy – with just the customer’s name, date of birth, and address, we can provide them with a bindable quote in a proprietary, economical way.
From there, agents can customize coverage through a simple slider interface that’s very intuitive.
Finally, we were custom built for independent agencies – everything from traditional local agents through digital/call center agencies such as Gabi or Young Alfred. Openly works particularly well with these because we’re accessible via an API, not just a portal.
We’re also very proud of the fact that we have an over 85% agency net promoter score, so agents are giving us great reviews.
What are the main tech advances that drive your business?
One is the ability to source the information used to underwrite homeowners very rapidly, and have a machine to sort through the messy data. When we quote, we go to dozens of sources of information about location, the buyer, etc. Not all sources agree, some information is missing, but algorithms intelligently sort through all the information to arrive at reasonable picture of what the risk looks like. Otherwise, the agents would have to ask a thousand questions or research it themselves.
Other parts are literally using modern methods of communicating between servers using basic UI paired with a complex under-the-hood algorithm
We also use AI, but not in the sense of a chatbot; doesn’t feel to agent but machine learning models that underlie all this to get an accurate quote quickly.
Has the COVID pandemic affected the availability of venture capital to insurtechs?
We just closed a Series A round in the heart of a pandemic. Our experience was that there are certainly investors that are still there. While not specifically related to insurtech, there is a general theme of uncertainty now, but it seems investors have quickly adapted since deals have bounced back pretty quickly.
Has the role of MGAs changed since the advent of insurtech?
MGAs historically were used largely in the commercial space or for very niche needs. Insurtech created the ability to put up a business model without having a huge balance sheet. This is invaluable for testing a new market without having to raise $100 million. We would not have insurtech without the concept of MGAs, but there are pros and cons. Some MGAs are literally just putting a website on top of existing products and algorithms and packaging it; others are doing more of a stack with predesigned products and teams. So not all MGAs are created equal.
Is Openly looking to expand beyond homeowners insurance?
While agents using Openly can provide an amazingly fast quote, good coverage and price, the best thing about them is the human side. They have an expert team of trained, licensed service staff and underwriters who will actually pick up the phone or chat through a platform within 20 seconds of customer outreach. That level of responsiveness has been what has won us real respect. We’re proud of both the tech and the human side.
- How Do You Make It Happen?
- Electronic Chat with Jason Liu, CEO, Zywave
- New Partnership Models Take Program Business to the Next Level
- New Study Finds Less than Half of Consumers Trust Insurers to Respond to Their Needs
- Electronic Chat with Andrew Mauritzen, CFO and Head of Insurance Industry, Exactuals
- You Want Us To Do WHAT For Free?
- Electronic Chat with Evgeny Aleksandrov, Co-founder and CEO, Pilotbird
- Electronic Chat with Chris Cheatham, CEO, RiskGenius
- New MIT Sloan Study Finds Few Companies Gain Big Benefits from AI
- The September/October ITA Pro magazine is here!
- “Being Right” is Just the Start of the Battle
- Electronic Chat with Amit Ranjan, Executive VP and CAO, Xceedance
- Planning for Your Business and Tech Future: Strategies, Plans and Budgets for Rapid Transformation
- Electronic Chat with Jimmy Padia, Founder and CEO, Floatbot
- Gelato with Dots and Sprinkles
- COVID-19 and the Insurtech “Junk Drawer”
- Even “Change” is Different Now. Your Strategic Planning Needs to Be Too.
- The Road Ahead for P&C Insurers: How to Understand Customers Better and Navigate the Post-COVID Insurance Market
- Electronic Chat with Jake Tamarkin, Co-founder and CEO, Everyday Life
- Strategic Planning in the “New Normal” Digital Era of Insurance – Your Next Move
- Insurer Tech Investment Priorities See Major Shift in a Post-COVID World
- Plug and Play Selects 25 Insurtech Startups for Winter Batches
- Digital Transformation – A Top Strategic Priority and New Reality
- Four Steps to Successful Migration of Insurance CCM Applications
- COVID-19 Accelerates Insurance Digitalization to Meet Customer Demand: World InsurTech Report 2020
- Electronic Chat with Greg Williams, Co-Founder, President & CEO, Acrisure
- Electronic Chat with Matt Perlman, Partner, IA Capital Group
- Insurer Digitalization: Are you a Competitor or a Laggard?
- Leaders are Leading and Creating the Future of Insurance Distribution
- 3 Things You Need to Know About No-Code
- Electronic Chat with Adam Kiefer, CEO, Talage
- Underwriting in 3D: Using Data to Adapt and Improve Life Insurance Sales
- Getting Past the "Gelato Syndrome"
- Insurers Know CX/UX is Important, but Don't Agree on Execution, Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Steve Lekas, Branch Insurance
- How AI Can Attract Millennial Talent to the Insurance Industry
- Preventing Data Breaches
- A New Boom for Life Insurance: Shifting Away from the 250-Year-Old Policy Transaction
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Founder and CEO, Openly
- A Digital Wildfire Creates a Burning Platform for Digital Insurance Business Transformation
- Digitalization, COVID-19 Spurring More IT Investment in Cybersecurity
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- OWIT Global Announces New Version of Bordereaux Management Solution for North American Market
- MSO Partners with Athenium Analytics
- Ask Kodiak Partners with CIP for Real-Time Appetite and EligibilityReal-Time Appetite and Eligibility
- Agentero Announces Partnerships with Digital Insurance Carriers
- AgentSync Raises $6.7M to Scale Insurtech for Agencies
- Appalachian Underwriters Partners with Slice Labs to Build and Distribute Digital On-Demand Insurance
- eMaxx appoints Governor Mary Fallin-Christensen to Board of Directors
- EIS Introduces Usage-Based Insurance Solution that Unifies Personal, Commercial Car Use
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
A startup owner asks HazardHub CEO Bob Frady what it takes to make it in the world of insurtech. Here's his checklist for success... READ MORE
The insurance industry in general -- and the program and affinity business, in particular -- has much to gain from ecosystems and partnerships... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE