Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
Robert Regis Hyle | December 20, 2016
In what is the largest ever purchase of an insurance software company, Guidewire Software announces it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire ISCS. The acquisition will enhance Guidewire’s ability to serve those P&C insurers that prefer a cloud-based, all-in-one system supporting the insurance lifecycle, according to the news release issued by Guidewire.
“Like Guidewire, ISCS is a software company focused exclusively on serving P&C insurers,” says Marcus Ryu, CEO of Guidewire. “Their technology and expertise will enable us to provide a new option to our customers and augment our progress in delivering cloud-based products. We are excited by the opportunity to welcome the ISCS team and customers to our community.”
“We look forward to joining Guidewire and continuing our mission of serving P&C insurers,” says Andy Scurto, CEO and founder, ISCS. “The breadth of Guidewire’s offerings and the scale of its organization will enable us to provide additional value to our customers. We also appreciate the strong affinity between the companies in terms of focus and culture.”
According to Celent analyst Donald Light, this is a change in Guidewire’s acquisition strategy. Up to now, all (Guidewire’s) acquisitions have fit into—or added a single new element—to Guidewire’s InsuranceCenter Suite. ISCS has its own end-to-end suite in SurePower Innovation.
The privately held ISCS immediately brings more revenue and good market momentum with a solid sales pipeline to the publicly traded Guidewire, adds Light.
“ISCS’s focus on small and midsize insurers brings a few other intriguing possibilities. One is that Guidewire and its SI alliance partners will now aim at the large and very large insurer market, leaving the small and midsize market to ISCS,” says Light. “A second is that ISCS will become a vehicle for small insurer growth outside of the U.S. The third is that ISCS' more extensive cloud experience, especially with Amazon Web Services, will step up Guidewire's movement to the cloud.”
Karen Furtado, partner with Strategy Meets Action, believes the work ISCS has done with AWS in the cloud will benefit Guidewire.
“Guidewire and ISCS have been both dominant companies in their respective tiers of the market,” she says. “As insurers are turning more and more to cloud-based solutions in all tiers of the market, the ISCS platform will provide Guidewire full end-to-end cloud based capabilities. It will be interesting to see how the integration of these two companies will play out as one was a pure software company and the other was a full service offering.”
Jeffrey Goldberg, vice president of Novarica, points out the Guidewire/ISCS deal is part of a multi-year trend towards consolidation in the P&C core system space. Much of the M&A activity in the past has involved standalone components being bought by suite vendors—a response to insurers’ desire to work with a single third-party across all of their core system needs.
As with this deal, Goldberg points out the marketplace has seen smaller vendors snapped up by larger vendors, where, such as the case with Guidewire, the larger vendor is public company or a vendor with a very large private equity backing.
“Insurers are a risk-adverse group when it comes to technology licensing, and even when a smaller vendor has a better functional fit for a company there can be trepidation about weak balance sheets and a shorter runway,” says Goldberg. “Few insurers want to license a system that might be on life support due to lack of funds. When a larger company acquires a smaller or more niche vendor, it can mean the best of both worlds for the insurer.”
Guidewire has continued to show strong sales numbers in the large and mid-size insurer marketplace, but Goldberg points out that for continued growth they need to make sure they have an offering that appeals to a broader base of smaller insurers as well.
“Whether deserved or not, Guidewire has a reputation among smaller insurers for high cost and long implementation times, and recently Guidewire has been working hard to position their solutions for rapid deployment,” says Goldberg.
Some other large vendors have recently acquired solution vendors aimed at the small scale of the insurance marketplace, so it’s no surprise that Guidewire has made a similar move, explains Goldberg. This is a way to quickly establish themselves as a vendor that also caters to more clients of varying sizes.
“It’s likely Duck Creek Technologies is considering a similar acquisition, much the same way Guidewire’s FirstBest announcement followed quickly on the heels of Duck Creek’s acquisition of Agencyport,” said Goldberg.
“Looks like 2017 will be an even bigger year for acquisition integration within the core system space as well as continued consolidation opportunities from an ownership perspective on the horizon,” says Furtado.
No terms of the deal were announced. Guidewire anticipates it will close the transaction in approximately 60 days.
- Four Steps to Successful Migration of Insurance CCM Applications
- COVID-19 Accelerates Insurance Digitalization to Meet Customer Demand: World InsurTech Report 2020
- Electronic Chat with Greg Williams, Co-Founder, President & CEO, Acrisure
- Electronic Chat with Matt Perlman, Partner, IA Capital Group
- Insurer Digitalization: Are you a Competitor or a Laggard?
- Leaders are Leading and Creating the Future of Insurance Distribution
- 3 Things You Need to Know About No-Code
- Electronic Chat with Adam Kiefer, CEO, Talage
- Underwriting in 3D: Using Data to Adapt and Improve Life Insurance Sales
- Getting Past the "Gelato Syndrome"
- Insurers Know CX/UX is Important, but Don't Agree on Execution, Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Steve Lekas, Branch Insurance
- How AI Can Attract Millennial Talent to the Insurance Industry
- Preventing Data Breaches
- A New Boom for Life Insurance: Shifting Away from the 250-Year-Old Policy Transaction
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Founder and CEO, Openly
- A Digital Wildfire Creates a Burning Platform for Digital Insurance Business Transformation
- Digitalization, COVID-19 Spurring More IT Investment in Cybersecurity
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Prudential Names Susan Somersille Johnson CMO
- Clearlake Capital to Acquire Zywave from Aurora
- Pacific Specialty Selects One Inc for Premium and Claims Payments
- The Paladin Group Successfully Implements Veruna
- Clearlake Capital to Acquire Zywave from Aurora
- Hippo Selects One Inc for Digital Claims Payments
- MetLife Digital Accelerator Partners with 10 Startups to Develop Financial Wellness and Engagement Solutions for Customers and Families
- Hub International Partners With InsuraGuest, Inc. To Lower Insurance Premiums And Transfer Risks For Hotel Clients
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Gautam Jit Kanwar
While most IT teams view migrations as a “necessary evil” required to modernize current technology, a solid migration plan will provide a better... READ MORE
The future of insurance distribution is multi-channel, says Denise Garth of Majesco... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE