Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
Laura Mazzuca Toops | November 13, 2019
Mike Byam knows data. He spent 22 years with The Hartford, most recently as Chief Data Officer. At the start of his career, he was a software engineer for Pratt & Whitney. Today, fresh on the job as VP of Data Strategy and Strategic Programs for Guidewire (he’s been in his current role two months), he’s charged with spreading the word about Guidewire’s current and future capabilities in helping its customers curate, integrate, and understand both their internal and third-party data.
So, when he stresses the importance of data to the growth and success of insurers, he knows what he’s talking about.
“Insurance is a data game,” he says. “It’s always been there, but companies are starting to realize that new technology allows them to use that data to more accurately define risk and drive efficiency.”
Not Just for Actuaries
Traditionally, internally stored data – the reams of information buried in policies and claims -- was the exclusive realm of the insurance actuary, Byam says. But today, everyone in an insurance organization is using data -- from data scientists with models to the marketing team – although everyone is using data differently.
Some carriers already have sophisticated data teams and tools, while others may not have as many resources as the big carriers. Guidewire is positioned to help both ends of the spectrum by providing ways to manage, analyze, and integrate data insights back into the systems.
“Since I’ve joined the Guidewire team, it’s become clear to me that our carrier base is interested in learning how to use data across the entire insurance value chain, from customer experience to underwriting to claims,” he says. “The consistent problem is either the challenge of accessing data in old legacy systems, or how to get value by integrating the insights in their operational systems.”
Guidewire is addressing this with its Data and Analytics product family, including Explore for Claims & Policy, a real-time analytic solution; Predictive Analytics, a machine learning platform that turns data into insights for claims and profitability; and DataHub, an operational data store that conforms multiple data sources using proven P&C data models.
Guidewire added new technical capabilities through several key acquisitions – in 2016 with Eagle Eye, which became Predictive Analytics, and in 2017 with Cyence, which applies data science and risk analytics to insurance data, enabling property/casualty insurers to underwrite “21st century risks,” including cyber, reputation, and new forms of business interruption.
And since so many other insurtechs are tackling the data issue, Guidewire may well continue such acquisitions, or add new partners to its data ecosystem, Byam says. “Our goal is not for Guidewire to be the ‘center of the universe,’ but to provide our carriers easy access to their information, along with a suite of tools to easily analyze and integrate insights to get value from data.”
The Role of the Cloud
At the recent Guidewire Connections 2019 conference, the role of the cloud in future operations was front and center – and the cloud will inevitably play a major part in the ability to store and access data.
Currently, Guidewire is building an end-to-end data platform in the cloud, a P&C insurance-specific data repository and factory that continuously collects data from internal and external sources and provides analytical insights across the value chain. The Guidewire Data Platform will make insurance smarter by enabling insurers to leverage up-to-the-minute information to make smarter, faster decisions.
“As we go forward into the cloud, it’s essential to use data curation to bring other sources of third-party information together with data from the legacy system…Our goal is to simplify as much as we can out of the core,” Byam says. “Old mainframe legacy systems are limiting and expensive. We aim to provide insurers a modern core system that allows them to more easily access internal data and also embed analytics to get more value from that data.”
# # #
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- BrokerTech Ventures Hires John Jackovin as Accelerator Executive Director
- Xceedance Acquires Activer Solutions
- IMS Brings Carrot UBI Platform to North American Insurers
- SPLICE Software Included in "10 Most Trustable Insurance Tech Solution Providers to Watch in 2020" by The Technology Headlines
- Insurance Marketing & Communications Association Launches Exclusive Council for CMOs
- Slice and SOMPO Release First On-Demand Insurance Product in Asia on ICS
- ClarionDoor Adds Jason Routson as New Director of Sales
- BriteCore Names New Chief Product Officer and SVP of Services
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Case study of how a Fortune 500 employee benefits provider serving 35 million insureds throughout the U.S. and Europe transitioned from in-house... READ MORE
- Vendor Views