Insurance Shifts Driven by People, Technology, Market Boundaries: Majesco Research
Staff Writer | February 27, 2017
Majesco published a new thought leadership report, Future Trends 2017: The Shift Gains Momentum, which provides a framework of three forces—people, technology and market boundaries—that are rapidly creating new expectations, new innovations, and new competition for the insurance industry. Based on a continuous scan of the market, the three forces expanded with several new trends.
Insurtech, behavioral economics, the pay-as-you-need enterprise, platform solutions and competition for talent and capital were added to the three forces, resulting in 14 key trends that are significant influencers of change and disruption for the insurance industry. These forces and trends are converging and pushing a slow-to-adapt industry into the digital age, while challenging the traditional business assumptions, operations, processes, and products of the last 30 or more years.
The implications for traditional insurance business models is enormous because the models, processes, products, services and systems have all been built for and around traditional assumptions rather than a market with new buyer expectations, new competition and new technology underpinning the shift.
“Insurtech has introduced innovative new models that are challenging traditions and capturing the hearts and minds of buyers for their ease, transparency, and engagement. We believe existing insurers will increasingly introduce new greenfields and startups to compete, leveraging the range of trends to compete for the next generation of buyers,” says Denise Garth, senior vice president strategic marketing, industry relations, and innovation at Majesco. “A key part of this new model will be the pay-as-you-need enterprise that leverages a SaaS Platform model that provides agility, innovation and speed, critical attributes in a fast-changing market.”
The report notes that in 2017 we expect to see existing insurers and reinsurers increasingly looking for paths to grow their businesses by capturing the next generation of customers with new engagement models, products and services. Rising to the competitive forefront, however, requires companies to rethink their business models and realign them with the customer needs and the expectations of those who will be their customers for the next 10-20 years, not those from the past 10-20 years.
To adapt to this shift, the report notes that insurers are charting a path with the following:
- Maintain and grow the existing business while transforming and building the new business. The current business is funding the future and needs to be kept running efficiently and effectively as the market shifts.
- Optimize the existing business while building the new business. Optimizing any process will help to maximize the existing business, reduce the cost of doing business, and provide a bridge from the past to the future while allowing realignment of resources and investment to the new business.
- Develop a new business model for a new generation of buyers. Create a strategy and plan for a new business model that supports simultaneous leaps forward to create new customer engagement experiences underpinned by innovative products and services that offer growth, competitive differentiation and success in a fast-changing market dynamic.
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Insurify Raises $23M, Expands Into Home and Life Insurance, and Hires Former SVP of Engineering at KAYAK as its CTO
- DocVentive Joins Quadient Partner Advantage Program
- BrokerTech Ventures Hires John Jackovin as Accelerator Executive Director
- Xceedance Acquires Activer Solutions
- IMS Brings Carrot UBI Platform to North American Insurers
- SPLICE Software Included in "10 Most Trustable Insurance Tech Solution Providers to Watch in 2020" by The Technology Headlines
- Insurance Marketing & Communications Association Launches Exclusive Council for CMOs
- Slice and SOMPO Release First On-Demand Insurance Product in Asia on ICS
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Case study of how a Fortune 500 employee benefits provider serving 35 million insureds throughout the U.S. and Europe transitioned from in-house... READ MORE
- Vendor Views