Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
Philippe Lafreniere | October 11, 2019
I just crossed my one year mark at Slice Labs. Happy anniversary to me! This is my 26th year in the industry during which time I’ve been a part of some pretty exciting initiatives that took me around the globe. This past year has been a whirlwind of learning, milestones, and a glimpse of what we might see in the not-too- distant future.
Joining Slice was like jumping out of a plane in mid flight and landing on a rocket. We launched a new digital insurer in Canada, rolled out a first-of-its-kind subscription cyber product in the U.S. with AXA XL, launched the company in the UK and Asia Pacific, won a few industry awards, launched Slice Mind, our lead data scientist was recognized as a global "top 40 under 40," and got to share our views at countless industry events globally. The interest and demand technology very high, but as I have worked with insurers directly I’ve observed a few trends that are holding many back.
1. We like the shiny new toys. As an industry, we are overwhelmed with all the new tech that can transform our business from driverless cars (that will take a bit longer than we think), satellite imagery for wildfires, AI, and the power of drones. Any given insurer that attends one of the insurtech conferences is like a kid in a candy store. That’s great,but we can’t tackle all of these at once; we need to pick a specific tech and prove its potential value through a set of quick use cases.
2. We feel we need to do things the way we have always done them. After the excitement of seeing the shiny new toys at the latest insurtech conference, you take some ideas back to HQ and then hit a wall: “Let’s do an RFP.” The pace of innovation and change is rapid; the landscape has changed. There are new ways to engage and evaluate a specific technology, business model, or partner. We have noticed that via a hands-on hackathon, you can learn nearly everything you need to know to dip your toes in the water, and at the end of that process you have something real and measurable to take to market. It might not be perfect but it will give you good insights.
3. Innovation teams are good, but need a mandate and a landing pad. For so long through my career, I did not really come across people with Innovation in their titles; now they are ubiquitous. I think it is great that insurers are dedicating so many people and teams to innovation. A few months ago we covered this topic via a podcast with Celent and Cooperators, with some really good pointers on innovation. What I have noticed more often than I had hoped, however, is the lack of a landing pad to execute on some of the innovative ideas/concepts that those teams want to try. The business should have bandwidth to implement innovation on a regular cadence. The innovation teams should be the ones on the critical path to have vetted new opportunities and drop them in a hopper.
4. We need to look for new KPIs and a bit longer term. Over this past year we got to work with some great teams that recognize that we are undergoing radical changes in how insurance is perceived, sought, purchased, and used. They also know that change won’t happen overnight. Therefore, we need to come up with new key performance indicators that allow us to determine viability and success of new concepts differently than we have in the past. We need to look beyond policies sold, loss ratios, and profits. While all of those are important, give yourself enough runway to really test and learn, whether with a new product, segment, using AI for underwriting or claims, or alternate distribution. This being said, it is also OK to fail. Just fail fast.
5. Insurance will definitely be different. The last thing that is certain, however, is that insurance will be different. From products, to the entire end-user experience, whether it is still a stand-alone insurance product or it is embedded as part of buying a car or going on vacation, there are too many forces at play to ignore the fact that our business is radically changing. Those that come out on top will have their eyes where the puck is going versus where it is (hey, I am Canadian and the new season just started so of course I had to somehow weave in hockey!). Working with these types of insurers and seeing real progress is quite exciting.
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Sapiens Expands Partnership Ecosystem with Lightico
- The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America Names Andrew McMahon President
- GoAskJay Launches On-Demand Marketplace for Personal and Commercial Insurance
- OWIT Global Partners with Maprisk
- Hollard Group Risk Selects Sapiens
- DataCubes Raises $15.2 Million in Series B Funding Round
- Activer Solutions Expands Sales Team
- Farmers Union Mutual Insurance Company (FUMICO) Selects Sapiens Solutions Over the Cloud for its P&C Transformation Project
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE