Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
Laura Mazzuca Toops | March 26, 2020
The insurance industry is facing an onslaught of claims arising from the COVID-19 pandemic, from small businesses to corporate clients – and insurers must be proactive, both in communicating coverage gaps and proactively assisting customers in getting the right coverage.
But with social distancing keeping insurers, agents and customers at literal arms’ length, it’s critical that insurers promote and teach their customers to use their digital insurance services, says a new report by Forrester Analytics.
“Address the Near-Term Impact of COVID-19 on Insurance While Demonstrating Customer Advocacy for Long-Term Growth” emphasizes the need for insurers to leverage and continue to enhance their digital resources to weather the pandemic and beyond.
Since the introduction of the smart phone, insurers have built assorted mobile apps, sites, and tools. But statistics show that customers seldom downloaded or used them, preferring to both file and check claim status via “human channels” (Forrester data show that only 3% of UK online adults and 4% of French online adults engage with their insurers through chatbots). “But in the new era of social distancing and call center wait times wrought by COVID-19, now’s the time to show off those investments; customers will be more likely or even have no alternative but to use them,” the report states.
Insurers must show customers not only that they have digital servicing tools, but how to really use them, including making voice assistants COVID-19 smart.
More importantly, insurers must handle any form of customer communication with empathy and a sense of advocacy, the report finds. This is especially important since many small business customers are learning that their business interruption coverage mostly exclude BI due to new and emerging diseases. “Call centers and agents will be tied up explaining coverage limits that should have been made obvious at the time of purchase,” the report finds.
“Now is the time for insurers to demonstrate their customer advocacy. It’s the right thing to do and will benefit firms further down the line. That’s because of the perception on the part of the customer that a firm does what’s best for them, not just what’s best for the firm’s own bottom line is a key driver of loyalty and future purchase intent at retail financial services firms.”
The report recommends that insurers:
Show what the digital functionality does, not just what it is. MetLife’s MyDirect site includes demo videos that tout how easy the mobile site features are to use, while Allstate and other insurers have YouTube videos showing off the DIY features of their photo claiming capabilities.
Enlist your human and IVR resources. Insurers should use their hold-time messages to promote digital services to save customers time, as well as recruiting customer service reps and field resources working from home to serve as virtual “geniuses” who can set up on-demand, how-to webinars, and “on call” times for live interactions.
Start or keep training voice assistants. While many insurers rely on chatbots to handle claims, most have not been specifically trained to respond to COVID-19 claims. Now is a good time to get voice assistants on the front lines for at least listening to calls and developing skills to handle COVID-19 inquiries.
Keep investing in digital capabilities. RPA and AI solutions that connect the contact center, agency, and customer portals will simplify underwriting and claims, while mobile capabilities like SMS text, online, or video chat simplify customer communication.
Use the crisis as a springboard for innovation. If there’s an upside to the COVID-19 crisis, it lies in how the situation is emphasizing the need for innovative ways to communicate. Insurers should continue to invest in emerging technologies that augment distribution (conversational interfaces), improve business processes (AI and machine learning), and drive customer engagement (IoT and sensors).
To access the full report, go to https://go.forrester.com/
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Allstate is providing more than $600 million to auto insurance customers amid pandemic
- Service Insurance Holdings Selects Cloverleaf Analytics
- Covr Financial Technologies Announces New President and Head of Innovation
- ACORD Releases Next-Generation Digital Standards to Enable Streamlined Insurance Data Exchange
- Vitech Announces Strategic Partnership with Innovation Underwriters
- Prescient Taps Data Gumbo to Transform Insurance Underwriting in Marine & Energy
- Origami Risk Launches Online COVID-19 Advice for Employers
- Illinois Mutual Life Insurance Chooses Sapiens for its Life Digital Transformation Project
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Case study of how a Fortune 500 employee benefits provider serving 35 million insureds throughout the U.S. and Europe transitioned from in-house... READ MORE
- Vendor Views