Majesco Announces Record Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2019 Results
Bill Sinn | May 07, 2019
Majesco (NASDAQ: MJCO), a global provider of cloud insurance platform software, today announced strong financial results for the fiscal 2019 fourth quarter and full year that ended March 31, 2019.
“We had a great year for revenue, EBITDA and new sales,” stated Adam Elster, Majesco’s CEO. “Companies of all sizes are turning to Majesco to partner with us on their digital transformation journey. I am more excited than ever about the opportunity ahead, the future of Majesco and the insurance industry. Our relentless focus on delivering innovation and customer success has fueled our growth and solidified our leadership.”
“I am excited by our momentum, and as we look to fiscal 2020 we remain committed to leveraging our technology, expertise and leadership to help insurers modernize, innovate and connect to build the future of their business – and the future of the insurance industry – at speed and scale.”
Key Revenue Drivers
- Revenue from cloud-based customers was $56.8 million (40.6% of total revenue) for the year ended March 31, 2019, up 52.6% as compared to $37.2 million (30.3% of total revenue) during the year ended March 31, 2018.
- Total number of cloud customers is now 54.
- Total recurring revenue was at $45.8 million (32.8% of total revenue) for the year ended March 31, 2019, up 38.8% as compared to $33.0 million (26.8% of total revenue) for the year ended March 31, 2018.
- Majesco’s 12-month order backlog as of March 31, 2019 was $96.9 million, up 13.5% from $85.4 million on December 31, 2018.
- The company added 19 new clients organically for the year ended March 31, 2019.
Fourth Quarter 2019 Financial Results
- Revenue was $36.9 million, compared to $32.9 million for the same period last fiscal year. The 11.9% increase in revenue was driven by footprint expansion in existing accounts, new logos, and the acquisition of Exaxe.
- Gross profit was $17.9 million (48.5% of revenue), compared to $15.4 million (46.9% of revenue) for same period last fiscal year. The 160-basis point increase in gross profit margin was driven by a higher margin mix of revenue.
- Research and development (R&D) expenses were $5.0 million (13.5% of revenue), compared to $4.6 million (13.9% of revenue) for the same period last fiscal year. Investments in R&D were focused on Majesco’s product roadmap to support next generation insurance solutions and digital offerings.
- Selling, general and administrative (SG&A) expenses were $10.5 million (28.5% of revenue), compared to $10.0 million (30.4% of revenue) for the same period last fiscal year. The reduction in SG&A as a percent of revenue reflects improved operating leverage.
- Adjusted EBITDA was $4.4 million (12.0% of revenue), compared to $2.9 million (8.8% of revenue) for the same period last fiscal year.
- Net income was $1.2 million, or $0.03 per diluted share as compared to net income of $0.4 million, or $0.01 per diluted share, for the same period last fiscal year. Net income was significantly higher due to increases in revenue and profitability.
Fiscal Year 2019 Financial Highlights
- Revenue for fiscal 2019 was $139.9 million, compared to $123.0 million last fiscal year. The 13.7% increase in revenue was driven by expansion within existing accounts, new logos, and the acquisition of Exaxe.
- Gross profit was $68.5 million (49.0% of revenue) for fiscal 2019, compared to $55.9 million (45.4% of revenue) last fiscal year. The 360 basis point increase in gross profit margin was driven by a higher margin mix of revenue.
- R&D expenses were $19.3 million (13.8% of revenue) for fiscal 2019, compared to $17.3 million (14.0% of revenue) last fiscal year.
- SG&A expenses were $39.1 million (28.0% of revenue) for fiscal 2019, compared to $41.0 million (33.4% of revenue) last fiscal year. The decrease in SG&A was driven by improved control of G&A expenses and higher operating efficiencies.
- Adjusted EBITDA for fiscal 2019 was $17.2 million (12.3% of revenue), compared to $5.7 million (4.6% of revenue) last fiscal year.
- Net income for fiscal 2019 was $6.9 million or $0.18 per diluted share, compared to a net loss of $5.0 million or $(0.14) per share last fiscal year.
- EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA are non-GAAP measures. Reconciliation tables of EBITDA and Adjusted EBITDA as used in this press release to GAAP are included in the financial section of this press release.
Balance Sheet Highlights
- Majesco had cash and cash equivalents of $39.4 million at March 31, 2019, compared to $14.5 million at December 31, 2018, and $9.2 million as at March 31, 2018.
- Majesco was debt free at March 31, 2019, compared to $13.7 million in total debt at December 31, 2018, and $13.6 million at March 31, 2018.
- The company announced the acquisition of the India based insurance software business from its parent company, Majesco Limited. The transaction received shareholder approval on April 30, 2019, and the acquisition is expected to close in mid-May.
- On February 25, 2019, Majesco completed a rights offering pursuant to which it received approximately $43.5 million in gross proceeds from the sale of 6,123,463 shares of the company’s common stock to shareholders who exercised their subscription rights (including both basic and over-subscriptions) in the rights offering.
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- REIN's DroneInsurance.com and Measure Collaborate to Provide Commercial Drone Operators with Integrated Access to Drone Insurance
- Root Insurance Company Launches New Renters Insurance
- Trexis Insurance Goes Live with the Duck Creek Core Suite OnDemand and Duck Creek Insights
- Roost® Announces Commercial Property Telematics Partnership with Church Mutual Insurance Company
- Arch Insurance Live with Majesco Billing for P&C on Majesco CloudInsurer™
- Conning: Life Insurance Sector Catching Up in Terms of Innovation
- Efma and Accenture Announce Winners of Innovation in Insurance Awards in North America
- Guidewire Congratulates 2019 Innovation Award Winners – Aviva Italy, CAA Insurance Company, Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company of Idaho, and FRIDAY
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE