Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
Laura Mazzuca Toops | May 27, 2020
Marissa Buckley is vice president of marketing and brand experience at Security First Insurance Company, where she is responsible for developing and implementing the company's customer experience strategy, from defining consumer journeys to evaluation.
She has nearly 20 years of experience in marketing and technology, with experience in database management, analytics, and software development. She managed the development of the nation's first social media disaster communications system, integrated with IBM content analytics.
Buckley has a Bachelor of Science degree in Management Information Systems from the University of Central Florida and a Master of Science in Integrated Marketing Communications from West Virginia University.
You started your career in designing for the Daytona 500 and NASCAR. How in the heck did you end up in insurance?
It’s been a very unique and memorable journey. My time working for International Speedway Corporation and NASCAR was more than 20 years ago at the start of my career. Design is my passion and as I was obtaining my bachelor’s degree, I learned about other study programs such as computer programming and digital media. The blend of technology and creative content to create animations was fascinating and something I felt even more passionate about than any static designs I had created in the past. I saw technology as a platform that brought design to life and I dove in head first, changing course in my degree program from business administration to study computer science.
Thankfully, the world of marketing and technology continued to converge and many opportunities were being created at the time. My unique educational background positioned me to fill the gap in marketing technology positions that were being created across industries. Later, I accepted a new position as a digital marketer for a homebuilder and helped build a CRM tool for that company. When the real estate crisis hit in 2006, I endured it for one year and then saw the position at Security First open up.
I’ll never forget what my boss told me at the time when I mentioned to her that I was going to apply for the position. She told me I was going to get bored and questioned how much fun it would be working for an insurance company. I’ve been with Security First for nearly 12 years and I’ve had the opportunity to oversee the development of mobile applications and all of our customer- and agent-facing applications. We’ve built corporate blogs, invested in multimedia advertising, and created a handful of virtual assistant services (chatbot) with some incredibly talented people and partners. It’s been a more exciting career than I could have ever imagined and I’m very thankful that I took the risk. At times, I wish things could slow down and get a little more boring!
How have customer expectations and demands changed during the course of your career, and how much is enabled by new technology?
It’s impossible to keep up, but I enjoy the discovery of the change through research and user-behavior analytics. My team often highlights new data and trends we’re seeing across applications that create opportunities for us to engage with people in different, more meaningful and relevant ways. Initially, marketing was largely centered on brand awareness and lead generation. Now it’s become more about building relationships through carefully orchestrated digital experiences that not only delight the customer, but meet business goals.
The COVID-19 pandemic is upending business processes as well as customer expectations. How is your company responding to these changing needs?
We have completely transitioned employees to work from home and we are using collaboration technology to continue operations. We’ve also shifted responsibilities for a few employees whose jobs changed significantly as a result of the virus. The company has been very successful at quickly identifying ways to modify the business to not only maintain operations, but find new ways to achieve key goals.
I am working very hard to remain consciously aware of how this pandemic has changed the way we operate and the relationships we have with one another. I know there are things we’re learning today that we will be able to bring back to the office. The use of collaboration software and technology that allows people to connect and get quick answers is different than how we connected in person. Bringing this technology into the office for the long term will require us to think a little differently about how we equip our teams. Personally, I’m looking for ways to manage the inundation of digital pings that have resulted from using new technology such as Microsoft Teams. It’s one thing to check your email periodically throughout the day to filter interruptions -- now we have new channels feeding into our day-to-day jobs. It could make things a little slower moving if we aren’t consciously aware and managing these new channels successfully.
How do you think businesses will balance the “personal touch” in CX with the use of AI, ML, and other tech tools?
Technology creates a personal touch that isn’t possible with human-to-human connection. We can gather insight and tailor experiences in the right context in seconds. The only way we can create meaningful connections with users is through the diversity of the team, with talent ranging from creative writers to software architects. When these individuals work together in the right way, they can achieve the unimaginable. That’s not an easy thing to do when you aren’t building an organization from the ground up. That’s what you need to balance—the diversity and talent of the team.
What are the biggest challenges your company is facing right now, and how are you helping to get through them?
Florida’s homeowners insurance market is tumultuous, wrought with insurance fraud and a highly litigious environment. Our biggest challenge is lowering the severity of claims and achieving profitability. The entire organization is focused on mitigating fraud and processing claims as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Electronic Chat with Amit Ranjan, Executive VP and CAO, Xceedance
- Planning for Your Business and Tech Future: Strategies, Plans and Budgets for Rapid Transformation
- Electronic Chat with Jimmy Padia, Founder and CEO, Floatbot
- Gelato with Dots and Sprinkles
- COVID-19 and the Insurtech “Junk Drawer”
- Even “Change” is Different Now. Your Strategic Planning Needs to Be Too.
- The Road Ahead for P&C Insurers: How to Understand Customers Better and Navigate the Post-COVID Insurance Market
- Electronic Chat with Jake Tamarkin, Co-founder and CEO, Everyday Life
- Strategic Planning in the “New Normal” Digital Era of Insurance – Your Next Move
- Insurer Tech Investment Priorities See Major Shift in a Post-COVID World
- Plug and Play Selects 25 Insurtech Startups for Winter Batches
- Digital Transformation – A Top Strategic Priority and New Reality
- Four Steps to Successful Migration of Insurance CCM Applications
- COVID-19 Accelerates Insurance Digitalization to Meet Customer Demand: World InsurTech Report 2020
- Electronic Chat with Greg Williams, Co-Founder, President & CEO, Acrisure
- Electronic Chat with Matt Perlman, Partner, IA Capital Group
- Insurer Digitalization: Are you a Competitor or a Laggard?
- Leaders are Leading and Creating the Future of Insurance Distribution
- 3 Things You Need to Know About No-Code
- Electronic Chat with Adam Kiefer, CEO, Talage
- Underwriting in 3D: Using Data to Adapt and Improve Life Insurance Sales
- Getting Past the "Gelato Syndrome"
- Insurers Know CX/UX is Important, but Don't Agree on Execution, Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Steve Lekas, Branch Insurance
- How AI Can Attract Millennial Talent to the Insurance Industry
- Preventing Data Breaches
- A New Boom for Life Insurance: Shifting Away from the 250-Year-Old Policy Transaction
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Founder and CEO, Openly
- A Digital Wildfire Creates a Burning Platform for Digital Insurance Business Transformation
- Digitalization, COVID-19 Spurring More IT Investment in Cybersecurity
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Convr Launches Convr Insider, Complimentary Underwriting Tool for Commercial P&C Carriers
- Founder of Kiwi Introduces Pilotbird, an Insurance Analytics Product Company
- Majesco Announces New Addition to Leadership Team with Appointment of Chief Financial Officer
- SageSure Launches New Line of Small Commercial Insurance Products for Coastal Businesses
- Seibels Appoints Rao Tadepalli Chief Information Officer
- Crawford Technologies Launches CrawfordTech Accessibility Academy
- Quadient Launches Revamped Partner Program Focused on Customer Experience
- Majesco Releases Version 11 R2 of L&A, Group Core Suite
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Majesco's Denise Garth talks to Rob Galbraith and Bryan Falchuk about how insurance is rethinking strategic planning in light of tremendous change... READ MORE
Gelato is great. Gelato with sprinkles is even better. Celent's Marty Ellingsworth continues his look at new and improved risk analytics... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE