New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
Robert Regis Hyle | December 20, 2016
Jim Daggett is co-founder and executive director of the Insurance Technology Association. Periodically he checks in with the ITA membership to discuss plans and issues for the coming months. This month, Daggett discusses some of the changes coming for ITA LIVE 2017 and the editorial calendar for the coming year.
What will be new at ITA LIVE 2017?
DAGGETT: First off, there is a new venue for the conference, although it will once again be in Fort Lauderdale. We also have a new date, March 12-14. What will really be new this year, though, is the concentration on many of the newer aspects of insurance technology. It is our intent to keep attendees abreast of the changes coming our way and there are many new developments in the industry. A year ago, one of our most popular sessions involved the discussion led by Rusty Sproat on his new company, Figo Pet Insurance. Many attendees were caught off guard by what Rusty was doing, not just with the insurance portion of his company, but his connection to the pet-owner community. That’s what we hope to achieve every year with ITA LIVE. We want to bring you information that you may not have seen or heard anywhere else. (For more information on the event or to register here.)
Does that mean there will be a lot of discussion about insurtech?
DAGGETT: Absolutely. We are using the theme Launchpad: Time to Soar for ITA LIVE and it is no coincidence that Launchpad also is the name of the new insurtech department in the magazine. There are many things we don’t yet know about some of the new technology and the new players in the insurance market, but it is imperative that we pay close attention to what is going on in this area based on some of the ideas we have heard and the quality of the companies involved.
Can you give us a feel for some of the sessions that are planned for ITA LIVE 2017?
DAGGETT: It’s hard to pin down one or two sessions, but what I like is the variety of topics. Sessions on dealing with Millennial customers, keeping pace with changing customer expectations, technology for the sharing economy, and how carriers can model their engagement with insurtech companies promise to be lively and thought provoking. I’m also excited to hear Bryan Fowler, of Oregon Mutual, discuss how a smaller company deals with the pressure to engage new technology without benefit of the huge research and development budgets that larger carriers have available. We believe there will be something for everyone at ITA LIVE, whether you are a large carrier or a midtier and whether you are on the P&C side or on the life and annuity side.
We are about to turn the calendar to 2017. What sort of topics will be covered in ITA Pro for the coming year?
DAGGETT: We will once again publish eight issues of ITA Pro in 2017 with four print issues and all eight available electronically on our website, www.emagazine.itapro.org or through our app, which is available exclusively to members of the ITA. Our February issue, for example, will focus on two of the major core systems—policy administration and claims—and while these are familiar topics, it is important that we understand what successful carriers are doing in those areas and what the large number of carriers that have yet to make the change to a modern platform need to examine before pulling this extremely important trigger. We will also keep a close eye on the scary issues that face all companies today—insurance and other financial services—and that is the security of our data. The hacking of data is reaching epidemic proportions and too many countries look at such criminal activity as a growth industry. Needless to say, the effect that the new presidential administration will have on all businesses in 2017 will be closely watched by all of us.
The ITA has completed three years of operation. Are there any major plans for years four and five?
DAGGETT: As we have seen over these last three years, the insurance technology world is moving faster than many of us ever imagined, so keeping ahead of the race is challenging and extremely important. One thing we will work on is the continued growth of our membership. We believe the content we provide in the magazine, on the web, and with ITA LIVE is invaluable to insurance IT leaders and it will only get better as we add more members, who are willing to share their stories.
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Guidewire Software Announces First Quarter Fiscal Year 2020 Financial Results
- Patriot Life Insurance Company Upgrades its Life & Annuities Underwriting Capabilities with Sapiens
- SDRefinery Rebrands to Reflect Evolving Business Model and Announces New Appointments
- Zywave Acquires Data Analytics Provider miEdge
- Trov Launches White-Label Renters Insurance Application in Partnership with Lloyds Banking Group
- Bestow Announces Executive Hires
- OCTO Acquires Nebula Systems, Reinforcing Leadership in Intelligent Vehicle Diagnostics
- Eastern Alliance Insurance Group Selects Insurity’s Cloud-hosted “Workers’ CompXPress Suite”
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Case study of how a Fortune 500 employee benefits provider serving 35 million insureds throughout the U.S. and Europe transitioned from in-house... READ MORE
- Vendor Views