OCTO Acquires Nebula Systems, Reinforcing Leadership in Intelligent Vehicle Diagnostics
Staff Writer | December 04, 2019
CTO Telematics, the leading global provider in transforming an IoT Big Data set into actionable intelligence, has acquired the entire share capital of Nebula Systems Ltd.
Nebula specializes in the development of advanced cloud technologies for the automotive and connected car industries. This means that its proprietary technologies are now available to make vehicle systems and data more accessible, so that a vehicle’s health, status and operation can be monitored, analysed, diagnosed and maintained, faster and more effectively.
OCTO continues its investment strategy in companies with high technological value, pursuing continuous portfolio innovation and market leadership. The acquisition confirms OCTO’s commitment to respond to the increasing demand for vehicle usage data analysis tools, with advantages for insurance, automotive and mobility companies with its increasingly integrated and complete offering.
Modern cars are full of sensors that generate huge amounts of valuable data that can be used to enhance both the driver and fleet manager experience. The vast majority of this data is related to OEM Electronic Control Unit (ECU), protocol and CAN bus which are difficult for the aftermarket to access. The Nebula Systems diagnostic cloud solution is based on an integrated circuit and a suite of vehicle data analysis software applications in order to better respond to the increased complexity. An integrated circuit, developed with proprietary technology, grants deep access to OEM level data. Vehicle telematics can therefore benefit from combining this telematics chipset with proprietary analysis software, which gives OCTO the ultimate flexibility and ease of access to OEM vehicle data by using a unique VIN-specific configuration file that contains the instructions to read Parameter ID (PID) sets from any OEM ECU on virtually any car.
This technology uniquely combines the proprietary chipset and a cloud-based VIN interpreter and configuration files builder to fully access all the ECUs and thousands of PIDs a vehicle may have.
“We are very proud of this latest acquisition which places OCTO amongst the leading providers of fleet telematics leasing and renting organizations” says Nicola Veratelli, OCTO Group CEO. “Amongst many trends that are changing the mobility sector there are some that have a significant impact on fleet managers, such as the need to integrate data coming from the vehicle, each different from the other and defined for each manufacturer. OCTO solves the complexity of interpreting this data and offers impactful solutions which contribute to deliver additional value for fleet managers. We are committed to offer dozens of fleet telematics services to fleet managers and drivers: remote cloud-based diagnostics deriving from this Nebula acquisition is surely one of the most relevant.”
With this acquisition, the Nebula technology will be integrated in the standard OCTO offering. Furthermore, all OCTO telematics devices will integrate these capabilities, allowing OCTO solutions full access to all OEM ECUs and to use diagnostic trouble codes and Parameter IDs for the benefit of both drivers and fleet managers. The combination of these benefits will have a substantial impact on mobility management costs for fleet managers using the OCTO Fleet Telematics solution.
Founded in 2002, OCTO provides telematics and data analytics solutions for the auto insurance industry and, increasingly, a major player in fleet management services, with solutions to grow its core businesses – Insurtech and Intelligent Mobility – and to expand and provide innovative connected solutions in new industries and international markets.
OCTO’s vision is to connect the world of mobility through advanced analytics and IoT-driven services for a new era of Smart Telematics.
OCTO currently has 6 million connected users, holds the largest global database of telematics data, with more than 248 billion miles of driving data collected and over 464,000 crashes and insurance events analysed, and runs more than 10 car sharing services with more than 400,000 hires per month.
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Insurify Raises $23M, Expands Into Home and Life Insurance, and Hires Former SVP of Engineering at KAYAK as its CTO
- DocVentive Joins Quadient Partner Advantage Program
- BrokerTech Ventures Hires John Jackovin as Accelerator Executive Director
- Xceedance Acquires Activer Solutions
- IMS Brings Carrot UBI Platform to North American Insurers
- SPLICE Software Included in "10 Most Trustable Insurance Tech Solution Providers to Watch in 2020" by The Technology Headlines
- Insurance Marketing & Communications Association Launches Exclusive Council for CMOs
- Slice and SOMPO Release First On-Demand Insurance Product in Asia on ICS
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
Case study of how a Fortune 500 employee benefits provider serving 35 million insureds throughout the U.S. and Europe transitioned from in-house... READ MORE
- Vendor Views