Policyholders and Their First Impressions
Wendy Aarons-Corman | June 16, 2014
Insurers continue to develop and deliver portals for their distributions, focusing on workflow for processing a piece of business. Our industry is filled with great resources that add value to these portals, both from the business and the technical side.
Teams are created to compile requirements not only pertaining to the processing but also for the other types of needs user may have. Upon the development of these portals, architects, developers and analysts gather to create a solution and quickly get it to market.
While this scenario may be familiar, insurers are learning that while they are getting to market quickly, they may not be providing an optimal user experience, which in turn results in a lack of interest in using these sites.
Technologists and business analysts are skilled but may not have the capabilities to analyze, create, and deliver a user experience that meets the user’s needs. Without an optimal user experience, insurers are wasting dollars on developing Web sites and insurance processing systems that will never be used.
An optimal user experience results when a user‘s needs are being met. It is all about ease of use; consistency throughout the journey, easy and intuitive access to key information and tools, good page layout, and good colors. An optimal user experience is emotional. Think about how many websites or mobile applications you have used only once due to frustration. Optimal user experience is all about customer satisfaction.
Leveraging user experience experts in the build process will decrease risk in delivering something that will not be used. User experience experts are key players in a project team, playing the creative role. These team members will have experience in interactive design, understand UX principles, and work with users in reviewing user-centric design including user journeys and prototypes. The addition of this role may increase the time to market plan but will increase the success of the delivery and reduce the potential for added expense to renovate the site.
The importance of optimal user experience is a subject of great interest within the insurance industry. While there are insurers now creating teams of user experience experts to address all types of user needs for all types of systems, there still remains a majority of insurers who understand the need but continue to leverage their IT and business analysts for this work.
No matter your situation, consider the following methods as a part of your requirements process:
Know Your Users: Not only should you know who you are providing the site for, but you should also be clear as to what you are providing and in what stages you are delivering, keeping the top requirements in the forefront.
Speak To Your Users: By having conversations, you are gaining supportive information for delivery including needs and experiences.Providing options to consider creates great discussion and ideas of better offerings.
Create Prototypes: A visual gives your users the opportunity to see the ideas and respond effectively.Walk through the prototype and gather feedback on what works, what needs to change or what should be eliminated.
Leverage Surveys: If you cannot get to all users, a brief yet effective survey can always be provided online.
Observation: If you already have a portal available for your users, create an opportunity to watch and record findings as they process tasks or gather information.
Evaluate Similar Portals: This is a great way to find new ideas for your own portal and compare your offering to what is available otherwise.
The reality is that your users are always looking for ease of processing business, whether it is getting a quote, getting a policy, reporting a claim or inquiring on any activity. Your users are looking for a great degree of flexibility in how they process their business, including a user experience that fits their individual requirements and work preferences.
The insurance industry has widely adopted the Internet, with insurers continually looking for ways to leverage the Internet’s capabilities to respond to distribution needs. Insurers who want success need to become game changers by including the user experience requirements prior to building and delivering a solution.
Enablers such as “time to market” and product are not enough to differentiate and can result in lost revenue and increased spend. User experience has to be part of the total offering from the onset.
(Wendy Aarons-Corman is president and founder of UX Game Changers, an organization that delivers optimal user experiences to the web and mobile for insurers.)
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- IMS Announces New Industry Partnership with Conversational AI Platform Provider, SmarTek21
- PLNAR Announces Allan C. Robinson III Has Joined the Board of Directors
- ISB Global Services Joins Guidewire PartnerConnect Solution Alliance Program; Publishes Ready-for-Guidewire Integration
- DataCubes Announces Company Name Change to Convr
- ClarionDoor Unveils New MGA Hub
- "Summer of Accelerate" to Deliver Continuing Education to Independent Agencies
- FRISS Partners with eviid to Help Prevent Fraud
- Messagepoint Launches Rationalizer
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
Without a very strong focus on data as a strategic and vital corporate asset, insurers will struggle to keep up with the necessary changes in the “new... READ MORE
How does a small- to medium-sized business (SMB) begin attempting to understand the digital ecosystem customer... READ MORE
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE