Root Insurance Extends Digital Business Model to Roadside Assistance with Agero, Powered by Swoop
Staff Writer | May 27, 2020
Root Insurance has partnered with Agero, powered by Swoop, to provide an entirely digital roadside assistance experience for Root’s nearly two million customers. Delivering on Root’s commitment to accessibility and convenience, the program, which is part of every policy at no additional cost, includes the ability to request service directly from the Root mobile app, customer vehicle location mapping, live service truck tracking, and more.
“Insurance is a promise we’ll provide financial support or relief in the event our members find themselves in a precarious situation, such as when they have a roadside event or an accident,” said Sarah Woods, Director of Product, Root. “Extending the roadside program to every policyholder is part of our promise that we’re going to be there when members need us most. These events happen more frequently than claims and are a significant, critical touchpoint – one of the few we have with customers directly.”
The Agero, powered by Swoop, Roadside product provides an end-to-end digital framework for these assistance moments that is in line with Root’s overall technology-born business and is easy to integrate with for rapid deployment. The Swoop platform leverages cloud architecture and robust, well-written APIs to transform a historically analog, highly manual and time-intensive process into one that is seamless, simple to use, cost-effective and able to improve functionally with Root’s growing customer needs. The result is an impressive digital customer experience that took just weeks – rather than months – to standup.
With the click of a button, policyholders can request service from within the Root smartphone app and get full real-time visibility into the service event for peace of mind. Members are able to review key details of their request, confirm their disablement location, track the provider’s real-time ETA and receive notifications. Today, approximately 80 percent of service requests initiate in the mobile app, with Net Promoter Scores (NPS) exceeding 80. Root members also boast high engagement, with a 23 percent response rate on post-event survey loops (compared to industry average external response rates of 10-15%, according to SurveyGizmo). This feedback, combined with a sophisticated reporting dashboard featuring live event tracking, hot spot maps, incident report functionality, and more, provide Root with invaluable insight into the program and customers’ needs.
Added Woods: “From very early on, we’ve had a very aggressive growth strategy and mission to scale a fully digital experience for our growing number of policyholders. Every partner we work with needs to support this goal and deliver on our brand standard of fairness, ease of use, personalization and affordability. We simply could not risk the roadside service experience on an unproven product. Agero’s expertise, market knowledge and powerful technology enables us to continue to deliver an insurance product that keeps the world’s best drivers safe.”
Founded in 2015 and recently valued at over $3.65 billion, Root’s mission is to disrupt the insurance industry by reimagining the services people need and serving them better and more fairly with a digital-first, data driven approach. At the center of this experience is a mobile app which monitors driver performance, rather than just demographics, for personalized rates and makes other key features such as filing a claim or changing a policy simple and easy for users. The model is working; in less than five years, Root has grown to nearly two million members across 30 states.
“Root is a fast-growing insuretech leading change in the insurance industry. They need a tool that will ride alongside them – not slow them down – as they grow. Root’s customers have come to expect a digitally-enabled, consistent and reliable claims experience, and can now expect it from their roadside support,” said Dave Ferrick, CEO and Insurance Lead, Agero. “Our intuitive platform combines a seamless digital experience with machine learning to identify any events that require a hands-on approach. A digital first platform plus experience is what Root is looking for. We are thrilled to be working together and look forward to continued success.”
As a leading motor club in North America supporting more than 115 million consumers, Agero, powered by Swoop, provides critical and potentially life-saving assistance for approximately 12 million breakdown and accident events annually. With a curated network of over 8,000 individual tow and roadside companies, and access to tens of thousands more, Agero serves 100 percent of zip codes in the U.S.
Additional information on the Root and Agero, powered by Swoop, partnership is available on the Agero blog and 511 podcast. To learn more about Agero Roadside Assistance, visit: https://www.agero.com/roadside-assistance, or contact an Agero representative.
Agero’s mission is to rethink the roadside experience through a powerful combination of passionate people and data-driven technology, strengthening its clients’ relationships with their customers. As a leading B2B provider of next-gen driver assistance services, Agero is pushing the industry in a new direction, taking manual processes and redefining them as digital, transparent and connected. This includes: a transformative roadside event management platform powered by Swoop, a San Francisco based software company acquired in 2018; comprehensive accident management services; knowledgeable consumer affairs and connected vehicle capabilities; and intuitive tow dispatch software.
The company protects 115 million vehicles in partnership with leading automobile manufacturers, insurance carriers and other diversified clients. Managing one of the largest national networks of service providers, Agero responds to approximately 12 million service events annually. Agero, a member company of The Cross Country Group, is headquartered in Medford, Mass., with operations throughout North America and Europe. To learn more, visit www.agero.com.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
Root is headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, with renters insurance available in Missouri, Ohio and Utah, and auto insurance currently available to drivers in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Virginia and will be coming to more states soon.For more information, visit joinroot.com and get a free quote. Sign up online or download the app.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- miEdge Founder Mark Smith Joins Zywave Advisory Board
- Quadient Introduces iX-Series Mailing Systems and S.M.A.R.T. MailCenter Management Software to U.S. Market
- Majesco Announces Latest Release to the Majesco Insurance Data & Analytics Platform
- Hi Marley Raises $8 million for AI Messaging Platform
- UDoTest Launches COVID-19 Employer Testing Platform
- Beazley Completes Guidewire London Market ECF Integration
- Aclaimant Raises $10 mil in Series A Financing
- Quadient, Kitewheel Partner on Customer Journey Explorer
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE