Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
Laura Mazzuca Toops | November 18, 2019
Ron Glozman is the founder of Chisel AI, an artificial intelligence solution for the global insurance industry which uses natural language processing and named entity recognition to extract data from complex documents. Chisel is a past cohort member of The Next 36, CDL at the Rotman School of Management, and the Ryerson DMZ, and was recently funded by a leading Silicon Valley venture firm.
How did you first get into the insurance industry?
Like many people working in insurance today, I stumbled into the industry. While I was attending university, I was confronted with a pile of reading for a university literature class, so I developed an AI program that read like a human – just 400 times faster. The app was so popular, all my friends wanted to use it, so I published it on the Google App Store and within months it was a top app with downloads across 33 countries and 44 universities. Encouraged by the demand, I presented the capabilities of the app at a conference hosted by Canada’s largest bank. After the demo, a well-known insurance carrier approached me to use the app to read insurance documents. That was the pivotal movement, when the program evolved into Chisel AI, a natural language processing platform for commercial insurance to automate and streamline mundane, time-consuming administrative tasks like policy checking.
What has been your vision – your overall strategy – for making Chisel the company it is today?
My vision for Chisel AI is to help people work smart and enrich their lives. In speaking with underwriters, I often hear how they arrive early, stay late, and when they get home at night, they’re exhausted from the high volume of routine, repetitive, manual tasks they have to get through. They often miss their kids’ ballet and baseball games as they are drowning in tedious, time-consuming manual tasks like re-keying data into various systems, pushing paper from one desk to another, waiting for signatures, etc. It’s our mandate to help them digitize these tasks so they can focus on more meaningful work that enables them to work smart to achieve a better work/life balance and gain a healthier sense of fulfillment from their work.
Is there any significance to the name “Chisel”?
Yes, for sure. The name Chisel AI is derived from the fundamental capability that our solution delivers to insurance commercial carriers, brokers and reinsurers, enabling them to “chisel” away at the millions of data points and unstructured insurance documents sitting in their data stores and data lakes to gain access to trapped business insights to better assess risk and price. You might also say we’re helping the industry chisel away at longstanding inefficiencies in the insurance back office that have impeded growth and enabling brokers and carriers to sharpen their competitive edge.
What do you predict will be the biggest insurtech trend affecting the commercial insurance industry over the next few years?
Customer experience will be at the forefront and everything will be about winning the client on experience rather than price. Therefore, AI-based technologies will continue to be very disruptive to the commercial insurance industry, as insurers identify business cases relating to customer-centricity. Quite frankly, it’s still early days when it comes to AI adoption, so over the next five years, it’s my prediction that we will see more mainstream adoption and deployment of AI-powered applications that address specific use cases. We will also see the fast followers and laggards, who have been sitting on the sidelines waiting to see the preliminary results of AI, spring into action, though for the real laggards, it might be too late to gain any ground.
How can insurance companies use insurtech to deliver a better customer experience and differentiate in today’s competitive environment?
One way that insurtech can help insurers gain competitive advantage is by enabling them to glean key insights from the mountains of data they are collecting and storing. We recently conducted a poll to examine how early adopters are using artificial intelligence and we found that real-time data extraction was the primary use case. If we take a look at a specific use case like Application Intake, brokers are completing long questionnaires and providing carriers with enormous amounts of data during the submission process. However, carriers are only leveraging the data from 10 to 15 questions to make decisions. They are only using 10% of the data. Now imagine if, by using AI, carriers could have real-time access to 200 to 500 data points in seconds to make more informed risk and pricing decisions based on 30% to 50% more data.
Responding to and distributing quotes faster and delivering accurate, precise policies to brokers will differentiate insurers as they will become the “carrier of choice” with their distributors. Insurtech has the power to significantly boost operational efficiencies, allow carriers and brokers to do more with the same headcount, and deliver a better customer experience.
When you’re not working, what do you enjoy doing outside of the office? Any special hobbies or activities?
Globetrotting is a passion of mine. I love travelling to new countries and cities. This year I had the opportunity to spend some time in London, Portugal, Russia and Switzerland. I also love snowboarding – so much so that I am a snowboarding instructor.
Do you see a connection between Artificial Intelligence and the staffing needs of insurance brokers and carriers?
Yes, I see a direct connection. As the aging workforce leaves the industry and insurers need to attract new talent, the deployment of AI and the digital transformation of age-old processes will increase the attractiveness of insurance companies among the next generation of workers who are seeking careers at progressive companies that can provide them with a variety of new opportunities, new challenges and continuous learning opportunities.
Generation Z, which makes up 32% of the global population, are digital natives. These individuals have never known a non-digital world. They will be attracted to organizations that have a digital-first mindset. They place a high value on technology and innovation.
Insurance brokers, carriers, and reinsurers who embrace “digital” insurance and leverage cutting-edge technologies like AI will increase their odds of attracting new talent compared to insurers who continue to use legacy systems and traditional manual processes.
Your team is doing some interesting work with Zurich. What can you tell us about these projects?
Well, we won Gold at the 2019 Zurich Innovation World Championship, which was the catalyst for us partnering with Zurich on five projects in two countries. We are working closely with them to explore all the possibilities for where Chisel AI can be integrated into their value chain. The projects to date include our Policy Check and Submission Triage or Application Intake applications – all powered by our AI and Natural Language Processing platform. Both solutions will enable Zurich to achieve strong business outcomes for their brokers and distributors and overall deliver a superior customer experience by providing accurate policies faster.
What role does culture play in the success of technology adoption like artificial intelligence, quantum computing, blockchain?
Culture is a critical element of organizational change management. It’s the key to ensuring that employees are aligned to deliver value to all communities - policyholders, brokers, carriers, distributors, shareholders, and their peers. Creating a vision that helps direct the change and rally teams around a common goal is a fundamental step to the successful deployment of new systems and technologies. With the right culture, AI presents an incredible opportunity for insurance carriers, brokers and agents to increase productivity, efficiency, and workplace satisfaction.
There is a lot of speculation that Artificial Intelligence in the insurance industry will result in job losses. Do you support this claim or how do you feel AI will affect staffing?
No. I believe AI will augment jobs, not displace them. AI increases the value of human judgement. AI is good at making predictions; not so good at judgment. Therefore, AI will create more opportunities for human judgement and creative thinking. Let’s not forget, AI has zero judgment, so humans will always need to be in the decision loop. Natural language processing and machine learning platforms require humans to support the continuous learning effect.
For example, today underwriters are focused on manually reading and extracting data points from unstructured insurance documents and then rekeying the data into multiple systems. What if AI could automatically extract the data needed from policies, binders, quotes, applications, endorsements, statements of value, etc. -- faster than a human, with greater accuracy -- and populate core systems with the data? This would allow human knowledge workers to focus more on judgement-related work like making risk and pricing decisions, and nurturing broker relationships. I strongly feel that AI gives knowledge workers the opportunity to focus on more strategic, meaningful and rewarding work.
Any words of wisdom that you would like to share with our readers who are considering deploying AI as part of their underwriting practice?
Define the business case first and include business leaders in all the discussions as well as the vendor selection. Selecting technology for technology’s sake is not the best approach. Insurers need to identify the best alignment with their overall corporate and business objectives first, before engaging technology vendors. Also, develop a business case that articulates the success criteria so it’s clear how you will evaluate, select and roll out an AI-powered solution.
- COVID-19 One Year Later: The Digital Transformation of Insurance
- Electronic Chat with Michael Kassing, CEO/CVO, insured.io
- BrokerTech Ventures Announces 2021 Cohort Class for Accelerator
- An Entirely Preventable Disaster
- Flipping the Fraud Triangle
- The January/February ITA Pro Magazine is here!
- Credit Risk, ESG, Cybersecurity Top Risk Concerns for Financial Institutions, Deloitte Finds
- Electronic Chat with Ellen Moser, Senior Client Executive, Origami Risk LLC
- The Answer to “So What?”
- Leaders Rise from a Year Like No Other!
- Electronic Chat with Jonathan Roomer, Co-Founder, YuLife
- Getting Creative to Hit COVID Curveballs Out of the Park
- Electronic Chat with Eugenio Gonzalez, Plug and Play
- New Report Projects Global Insurtech to Grow by $21 Billion During 2020-2024
- The 2020 Virtual Event Wasteland
- Insurtechs, Investors Optimistic About Post-COVID Future, New DIA/McKinsey Study Finds
- Finding Grandmas
- No Code / Low Code: The New “Shortest Route” In Insurance Delivery
- Are You Addicted to Copy-and-Paste?
- Electronic Chat with Nino Tarantino, CEO- Americas, Insurance and Mobility Solutions (IMS)
- Driving Life Insurance:Tech Alone Won’t Solve Business Problems
- Electronic Chat with Robin Roberson, Managing Director, North America, Claim Central Consolidated
- How Do You Make It Happen?
- Electronic Chat with Jason Liu, CEO, Zywave
- New Partnership Models Take Program Business to the Next Level
- New Study Finds Less than Half of Consumers Trust Insurers to Respond to Their Needs
- Electronic Chat with Andrew Mauritzen, CFO and Head of Insurance Industry, Exactuals
- You Want Us To Do WHAT For Free?
- Electronic Chat with Evgeny Aleksandrov, Co-founder and CEO, Pilotbird
- Electronic Chat with Chris Cheatham, CEO, RiskGenius
- New MIT Sloan Study Finds Few Companies Gain Big Benefits from AI
- The September/October ITA Pro magazine is here!
- “Being Right” is Just the Start of the Battle
- Electronic Chat with Amit Ranjan, Executive VP and CAO, Xceedance
- Planning for Your Business and Tech Future: Strategies, Plans and Budgets for Rapid Transformation
- Electronic Chat with Jimmy Padia, Founder and CEO, Floatbot
- Gelato with Dots and Sprinkles
- COVID-19 and the Insurtech “Junk Drawer”
- Even “Change” is Different Now. Your Strategic Planning Needs to Be Too.
- The Road Ahead for P&C Insurers: How to Understand Customers Better and Navigate the Post-COVID Insurance Market
- Electronic Chat with Jake Tamarkin, Co-founder and CEO, Everyday Life
- Strategic Planning in the “New Normal” Digital Era of Insurance – Your Next Move
- Insurer Tech Investment Priorities See Major Shift in a Post-COVID World
- Plug and Play Selects 25 Insurtech Startups for Winter Batches
- Digital Transformation – A Top Strategic Priority and New Reality
- Four Steps to Successful Migration of Insurance CCM Applications
- COVID-19 Accelerates Insurance Digitalization to Meet Customer Demand: World InsurTech Report 2020
- Electronic Chat with Greg Williams, Co-Founder, President & CEO, Acrisure
- Electronic Chat with Matt Perlman, Partner, IA Capital Group
- Insurer Digitalization: Are you a Competitor or a Laggard?
- Leaders are Leading and Creating the Future of Insurance Distribution
- 3 Things You Need to Know About No-Code
- Electronic Chat with Adam Kiefer, CEO, Talage
- Underwriting in 3D: Using Data to Adapt and Improve Life Insurance Sales
- Getting Past the "Gelato Syndrome"
- Insurers Know CX/UX is Important, but Don't Agree on Execution, Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Steve Lekas, Branch Insurance
- How AI Can Attract Millennial Talent to the Insurance Industry
- Preventing Data Breaches
- A New Boom for Life Insurance: Shifting Away from the 250-Year-Old Policy Transaction
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Founder and CEO, Openly
- A Digital Wildfire Creates a Burning Platform for Digital Insurance Business Transformation
- Digitalization, COVID-19 Spurring More IT Investment in Cybersecurity
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- SIMON Adds Brighthouse Financial to Annuities Platform
- EIS Partners With esure Group to Expedite Its Digital Transformation
- Carpe Data Partners with Unqork to Help P/C Insurers Improve Automation
- Vertafore and Nationwide Partner on Commercial Submissions to Improve Market Connectivity
- Next Insurance to Acquire AP Intego
- Buckle Adds Crash Risk Data from TNEDICCA to Auto Insurance Underwriting
- Donegal Selects CoreLogic’s P&C Claims Workflow and Management Solution
- Zelros Raises $11 Million in Series A Funding to Bring AI-Powered Responsible Insurance Distribution to North America
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE
COVID-19 has accelerated digital adoption, especially in the areas of claims adjustment and fraud prevention... READ MORE
- Vendor Views