What's AI-Right and AI-Wrong?
Marty Ellingsworth | June 01, 2021
What’s AI-right and AI-wrong? And can people even know the answer?
Having data? Seeing data? Knowing data? Using data? Not using data? Not knowing, seeing, having?
This blog is a DIY Data and AI Ethics Exam. Funny thing with ethics, there may be no right answer. It’s a framework for considering right and wrong, asking questions, and changing in changing times.
Many of us have never to this day actually taken a course or read a book on ethics. If you have to ask, you are one of them. No judgment, just a data point.
There is no certificate of accomplishment for ethics literacy, nor an update for when things change (or more emphatically, need to change). There are many who would argue that there are professional educational credits for such, but without an enforcement mechanism for accountability, it looks more like ethics washing to some.
The truth is stranger than fiction as markets around the globe and in every industry and situational context continue to sort out “yours, mine, ours, and theirs” issues on data ownership, privacy, protection, permission, uses, and what “fair” means. Rules, regs, and laws are coming (or not) depending on the politics, economics, and ethics in seemingly every context and jurisdiction.
It’s not just what people do to people with data, but the scary obviousness of what machines could do (or not do) to people with data. The scale of impact of platforms is in the billions of people. One autocratic leader can impact only the people below them, but a machine can network ceaselessly.
This sits in modern-day mindsets -- corporate, government, municipal, local, household, individual. One part fear, and one part greed. And the rest of the parts – ethical and moral debate.
LET’S START THE QUIZ – formulate your opinion on the topics below:
1. Privacy – Who owns the permanent record data in your car navigation system if the car is sold or salvaged? Who can view that data? Same thing for your smartphone, smart home, smart watch, social media account/content, etc.
2. “Extra” data like facial recognition is very useful for some things (like my iPhone unlocking). But is someone databasing biometrics, my race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, orientation, religion, age, complexion, etc.? Is storing this sort of data anywhere ever a good idea? What if it's just to suggest my color palette in clothing?
3. Anonymity versus Identifiability -- You must show your face to access your phone, your apps, even the internet (already included if you did step one, except in some countries). If you don’t use your face or fingerprint, your GPS coordinates and movements and/or device handling characteristics are strong identifiers. Same with small networks, in a small area, or similar interest. The three combined can be as unique as a rooftop level 9-digit zip code or 10-digit phone number. Is it not PII (personally Identifiable Information) just because it is not easy to see, or link, a unique identity? [not part of this test - that's written down, but changes over time].
4. Real or Robot -- Should I be notified if I'm speaking with a synthetic AI? Should a robot voice be "gender-fied"? What is the motivation behind gender-fying a robot, or a spokesperson for that matter, even a cartoon spokes-animation?
- I want to be included -- You built a great model on people not like me, so now what? Can I fit?
- I want to be excluded -- You thought you built a great model on people like me, but I am not like them.
- Forget you ever saw me – Can your model forget me, or once seen forever seen – like a jury? Did you warn me of that (and is all that EULA fine print even fair (okay, that’s an advanced exam question)?
- I did not give you permission to see me – Are there any bounds on unintended disclosure, capture, or use of data about me (including public gatherings)?
5. Speaking of crowds -- Tell me what my friends and neighbors are doing. I heard all my friends and connections acted on this issue (like voting); should I take the same action, too? Wait, is that "fake news"? Am I being manipulated? Houses on my street used how much less water than me?
6. Means to an end -- If a “Pied Piper” existed in an algorithm, would it be okay if they helped me make "good choices." or should I always have informed consent and know I am the target of an influence campaign, nudge, or advertisement? Are techniques of psychological warfare fair in peacetime populations?
7. Past versus Present data -- All your model data use past outcomes that came from a society where segregation was the norm, education was spotty, literacy even spottier, and legal protections had not yet come into play. Why is it even relevant? Predicting from events in a biased past carries forward the inherent market conduct.
8. Moral line – No AI "live ammo" authorized (at least, by us, so far, but it’s a line to not cross, right? Or could I just use it for automated vermin hunting, where’s the harm in that?)
9. Might makes right -- Is it giving too much away to the "invisible hand of power" for someone to infer my wealth, cashflow, purchase preferences, and affinities – and then decide how to target, un-target, or re-target me? Is it different if it is my neighbor down the street versus an algorithm running in a foreign country?
10. Because I said so -- People, especially bullying and self-servicing autocrats, create cultures of situational ethics where "truth to power" equals termination with prejudice. Training an AI model on human decisions can create a "monster in the machine." You can give away your ethical objectivity by using subjective or biased data in the first place.
11. Companies are people, too -- Speaking of giving stuff away, hypothetical question: If I web scrape your picture, calculate your biometrics, and database them, do you have any rights to that data, or even to know I exist? Even if I only intend to use it for "good," like to verify your identity when you ask me to? What if I were bad?
12. No harm, no foul (can no foul be the harm) -- How many of the offers I never see, would have made me happy? Is there a virtual tarnish to reputation in the job market? Is “too expensive” or “over-qualified” even a thing, or a code word for age? What other hidden factors are being used in hidden decisions [ see “Extra Data” above ]?
13. I know it when I see it -- People have hidden biases, and also hide their biases. Would I know if an algorithm “thought” like that, or used data sources that had hidden influence? How are outcomes catalogued to show any differences by any type of “Extra Data” features?
14. The rule of law -- The problem with laws is that it’s not illegal if there is not a law, and it is forever illegal until a law is changed. Selective enforcement can be an issue, too. Ethics can be like laws, especially when big money could be at stake; but with nothing written down, it is way easier to rationalize an ethics violation, less penalty potential.
15. Gold is the rule -- Despite my observing you not drive, I am still charging you a flat rate of 10,000 miles a year (substitute any subscription service here)..
- The rule is the gold - If I don't offer a mileage risk curve, then it does not matter if you drive less, but I will audit anyone if think is driving way too much.
- The cost of gold - Even if I verify you are a safe driver and drive less, you must continue to pay for trip tracing and submit to tracking beyond its rating relevancy even if a dramatically cheaper and privacy protection option of photo capturing just miles from your odometer would do.
- The value of gold - As long as I hope to find new ways to create new products and services to sell to you sometime in the future, then you should enjoy paying more now and having your private data permanently collected.
16. Does having knowledge carry any obligation? If an AI audit-bot could assess bias violations in models and people, what happens to the people, the models, and people using models?
END OF EXAM
BONUS QUESTION: Underlying all this, are you concerned that for some jobs, “people need not apply”?
Algorithm Want Ad: Seeking a algo-work-bot that never gets tired, does what I tell it, draws no salary, does not ask for a raise, never takes vacation, takes up no office space, has unlimited productivity potential, can create valuable data assets from its own work processes, and has the capacity to learn with bolt-on knowledge modules instantly. Plus, creates a permanent record of everything it does, and won’t complain if I just turn it off and never call it again.
And did I mention, AI never asks questions, but if it did, there's no law or compelling ethical reason to make you answer.
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Co-Founder, Openly Insurance
- The Insurance Industry’s Reliance on Friction: A Good Strategy?
- Loss Control, Premium Audit Systems Critical to Customer Experience, Celent Finds
- What's AI-Right and AI-Wrong?
- The Drive for Digital
- Electronic Chat with Candice Smith, Founder and CEO, Caregiven
- Electronic Chat with Nestor Hugo Solari, Founder/CEO, Sigo
- The Giant Hole in Actuarial Models
- Electronic Chat with Trent Cooksley, COO and Co-Founder, Cowbell Cyber
- The ITA Pro March/April 2021 issue is here!
- Purchasing and Innovation: Friends or Enemies?
- COVID Drives More Reliance on Risk Management Systems, New Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Robert Clark, CEO, Cloverleaf Analytics
- Solving Customer Communications Challenges with Hybrid Mail
- Six Trends Shaping Digital Insurance Tech Strategies in 2021
- Billing a Key Component of Customer Service, Celent Finds
- Why Data Science Fails
- Electronic Chat with Andrew Jernigan, CEO, and Allen Koski, President and Chief Innovation Officer, Insured Nomads
- Electronic Chat with Allison Martin, CEO and Founder, UDoTest
- Are Carriers Ready for the Coming Crash?
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Moore, Director for North American Sales Engineering and Solutions, Trifacta
- Next Insurance Partners with Amazon Business Prime to Provide Small Businesses with Affordable Digital Insurance Options
- An AI Walks Into an Electronics Store...
- InsurTech NY Announces Global Early-Stage Competition Winners
- World’s Worst County/Western Insurtech Song
- Electronic Chat with Anne-Laure Klein, COO, Akur8
- COVID-19 One Year Later: The Digital Transformation of Insurance
- Electronic Chat with Michael Kassing, CEO/CVO, insured.io
- BrokerTech Ventures Announces 2021 Cohort Class for Accelerator
- An Entirely Preventable Disaster
- Flipping the Fraud Triangle
- The January/February ITA Pro Magazine is here!
- Credit Risk, ESG, Cybersecurity Top Risk Concerns for Financial Institutions, Deloitte Finds
- Electronic Chat with Ellen Moser, Senior Client Executive, Origami Risk LLC
- The Answer to “So What?”
- Leaders Rise from a Year Like No Other!
- Electronic Chat with Jonathan Roomer, Co-Founder, YuLife
- Getting Creative to Hit COVID Curveballs Out of the Park
- Electronic Chat with Eugenio Gonzalez, Plug and Play
- New Report Projects Global Insurtech to Grow by $21 Billion During 2020-2024
- The 2020 Virtual Event Wasteland
- Insurtechs, Investors Optimistic About Post-COVID Future, New DIA/McKinsey Study Finds
- Finding Grandmas
- No Code / Low Code: The New “Shortest Route” In Insurance Delivery
- Are You Addicted to Copy-and-Paste?
- Electronic Chat with Nino Tarantino, CEO- Americas, Insurance and Mobility Solutions (IMS)
- Driving Life Insurance:Tech Alone Won’t Solve Business Problems
- Electronic Chat with Robin Roberson, Managing Director, North America, Claim Central Consolidated
- How Do You Make It Happen?
- Electronic Chat with Jason Liu, CEO, Zywave
- New Partnership Models Take Program Business to the Next Level
- New Study Finds Less than Half of Consumers Trust Insurers to Respond to Their Needs
- Electronic Chat with Andrew Mauritzen, CFO and Head of Insurance Industry, Exactuals
- You Want Us To Do WHAT For Free?
- Electronic Chat with Evgeny Aleksandrov, Co-founder and CEO, Pilotbird
- Electronic Chat with Chris Cheatham, CEO, RiskGenius
- New MIT Sloan Study Finds Few Companies Gain Big Benefits from AI
- The September/October ITA Pro magazine is here!
- “Being Right” is Just the Start of the Battle
- Electronic Chat with Amit Ranjan, Executive VP and CAO, Xceedance
- Planning for Your Business and Tech Future: Strategies, Plans and Budgets for Rapid Transformation
- Electronic Chat with Jimmy Padia, Founder and CEO, Floatbot
- Gelato with Dots and Sprinkles
- COVID-19 and the Insurtech “Junk Drawer”
- Even “Change” is Different Now. Your Strategic Planning Needs to Be Too.
- The Road Ahead for P&C Insurers: How to Understand Customers Better and Navigate the Post-COVID Insurance Market
- Electronic Chat with Jake Tamarkin, Co-founder and CEO, Everyday Life
- Strategic Planning in the “New Normal” Digital Era of Insurance – Your Next Move
- Insurer Tech Investment Priorities See Major Shift in a Post-COVID World
- Plug and Play Selects 25 Insurtech Startups for Winter Batches
- Digital Transformation – A Top Strategic Priority and New Reality
- Four Steps to Successful Migration of Insurance CCM Applications
- COVID-19 Accelerates Insurance Digitalization to Meet Customer Demand: World InsurTech Report 2020
- Electronic Chat with Greg Williams, Co-Founder, President & CEO, Acrisure
- Electronic Chat with Matt Perlman, Partner, IA Capital Group
- Insurer Digitalization: Are you a Competitor or a Laggard?
- Leaders are Leading and Creating the Future of Insurance Distribution
- 3 Things You Need to Know About No-Code
- Electronic Chat with Adam Kiefer, CEO, Talage
- Underwriting in 3D: Using Data to Adapt and Improve Life Insurance Sales
- Getting Past the "Gelato Syndrome"
- Insurers Know CX/UX is Important, but Don't Agree on Execution, Study Finds
- Electronic Chat with Steve Lekas, Branch Insurance
- How AI Can Attract Millennial Talent to the Insurance Industry
- Preventing Data Breaches
- A New Boom for Life Insurance: Shifting Away from the 250-Year-Old Policy Transaction
- Electronic Chat with Ty Harris, Founder and CEO, Openly
- A Digital Wildfire Creates a Burning Platform for Digital Insurance Business Transformation
- Digitalization, COVID-19 Spurring More IT Investment in Cybersecurity
- Electronic Chat with Michael DeGusta, CEO, ClarionDoor
- U.S. Consumers Significantly Underestimate Flood Risk, New Survey Finds
- The Future of Insurance: Opportunities in Ecosystems
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum, CEO, Input 1
- Majesco to be Acquired by Thoma Bravo
- The Evolving Role of Managing General Agencies
- Electronic Chat with Char Hu
- Electronic Chat with Allan L. Egbert, Jr.
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Tramontano and Zbigniew Gawienczuk
- Data Science is Gelato
- Insurance Innovation: Alive and Kicking
- Independent Agents Divided on Digital Experience, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Michael Jones
- Electronic Chat with Paul VanderMarck
- As Auto Insurance Premiums Shrink, Insurers Need Mobility Ecosystem, New Study Finds
- Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds
- Electronic Chat with Bobbie Shrivastav
- Meet the Board: Marissa Buckley
- Big Data and Insurtech: A Carrier Perspective
- Traditional Insurers Need Open Ecosystems, Partnerships to Remain Competitive, CapGemini Report Finds
- Electronic Chat with John C. Siegman
- 4 Ways AI is Empowering Insurers During COVID-19
- 6 Big Changes to Insurance from the COVID-19 Crisis
- Electronic Chat with Christopher Ewing
- Independent Agency Staff Morale High During COVID-19, New Survey Finds
- Electronic Chat with Brad Epker
- Tapping AI to Improve Policyholder Experience
- Electronic Chat with Manisha Bhargava
- ITA Pro Magazine, March/April 2020
- COVID-19 a Game Changer for Workers’ Comp
- Electronic Chat with Steve Comer
- COVID-19 Pandemic Forces Cancellation of ITA LIVE 2020
- Leveraging Digital Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- Electronic Chat with Robert Hartwig on COVID-19 and Insurance
- Celent Study: Most Small Businesses Still Unclear on Importance of Cyber Insurance
- The January/February 2020 ITA Pro is here!
- Deloitte: New C-Suite Roles Mean More Opportunities for Women
- Electronic Chat with Pankaj Parashar
- Electronic Chat with Tara Kelly
- Electronic Chat with Chuck Wilson
- ITA, InsNerds Collaborate to Enhance ITA LIVE 2020 Content and Coverage
- How SMBs Can Compete in Digital Ecosystems in the 2020s
- 4 Ways Insurance Can Prepare for New Data Privacy Laws
- Brewer Lane Ventures Launches and Hires Insurtech Vet Martha Notaras as Managing Partner
- 2020 GIA Cohort Launches on January 14
- The November/December 2019 ITA Pro is here!
- Electronic Chat with Joshua Snead
- Electronic Chat with Wendy Aarons-Corman
- Simplifying the Move to a Third-party Print Provider
- Take a Business-Driven Approach to Continuous Improvement for Core Systems and Processes
- Electronic Chat with Ron Glozman
- Guidewire’s Data Guru Mike Byam on How Insurers are Using Internal and Third-Party Data
- Electronic Chat with Russ Bostick
- Electronic Chat with Rock Schindler
- Electronic Chat with John Siegman
- Electronic Chat with Martin Burlingame
- Insurtech Landscape 2019: Top 5 Takeaways
- Grinnell Mutual Tackles Massive Transformation -- in Stride
- A Candid Conversation with Paul Mang
- SageSure Insurance Managers Improved Competitiveness by Consolidating Payments to a Single Digital Platform
- Digital Does Matter in Insurance-- And Insurers are Missing the Mark
- The 22nd-Century Insurer: Taking a Cloud-First IT Approach
- The September/October 2019 issue of ITA PRO magazine is now available in digital format here:
- ITA Pro Magazine May/June 2019
- Spotlight on the 2019 IASA Conference
- ValueMomentum Selects Erie as Site of Regional Development Center
- Capgemini and Majesco Become Alliance Partners
- Electronic Chat with Dr. Dan Shoham
- Electronic Chat with Todd Greenbaum
- Martha Notaras: The “Outsider” with an Amazing Inside View
- Electronic Chat with Larissa Tosch
- Martha Notaras Will Join ITA LIVE 2019 as a Keynote Speaker
- Five Things to Consider When Evaluating Your Cyber Risk
- ITA Pro Magazine, January/February 2019
- Synergy Between Insurers' IT and Analytics Teams Key to Operationalizing Insights, Says Novarica
- Major Ransomware Attack Could Hit U.S. with $89B In Economic Damages
- ITA Announces 1st of Three Keynote Speakers at ITA LIVE 2019
- Electronic Chat with Jeroen Morrenhof
- Legacy Systems Are Dead. Really? Don't Count On It.
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2019 ITA Bridge Awards
- It's time to register for ITA LIVE!
- Registration is Now Open for ITA LIVE 2019!
- What to Expect from a Digital Experience Platform Implementation
- ITA Pro Magazine September Edition is Now Available
- It's National IT Professionals Day
- Save the Date for ITA-LIVE 2019
- OneShield Software and UrbanStat Work Together to Improve Real-Time Analytics and Risk Decision-Making
- ITA LIVE 2019 - SAVE THE DATE!
- Insurance Technology Association Announces New Editor-in-Chief
- August 2018 Edition ITA Pro Magazine is Now Available
- Enterprise Architecture in an Agile World
- Top 10 Tips for Securing Your Mobile Devices and Sensitive Client Data
- Industry Insight: 4 Global Insurance Trends in Digital, Data, Content Services and Security
- Diving Deeper into Prioritizing Your Strategic Digital investments
- Why Content Rules
- How Mass Personalization Will Open the Small Business Benefits Market
- At Year End 2017, Will Your Organization Be Protected from Cyber Risks?
- Do Insurance Bots Dream of Mitigating Risk?
- Conditioned to Respond
- Managing & Mobilizing Insurance Data in a Connected World
- Race to the Finish Line
- New Tools, New Opportunities in Claims
- ITA LIVE: Reaching Insurance Industry Crossroads
- Advice to Insurance IT Leaders: Keep Your Eye on the Ball
- New Date, Venue for ITA LIVE 2017
- Guidewire Makes Major Push to Small and Midtier Market by Acquiring ISCS
- Insurance Disruption is Happening Right Now
- Insurity Adds Strategic Investment Partner, General Atlantic
- Beyond Transformation: The Convergence of Finance, Risk, and Actuarial Functions
- The Rapid Evolution of Consumer Protection Regulation
- Talent Hunt: Finding, Attracting, Retaining Top People
- Insurers Flexing Their Distribution Models
- Technology Driving Disruption in Insurance
- Fear of ‘Next Bubble’ Challenges Life, Annuity Carriers
- Technology Allows Commercial Lines Insurers to Stand Out
- Single Sign-on Viewed as Biggest Tech Challenge for Agencies
- ISCS Observes 20th Anniversary; Scurto Predicts Major Changes Ahead
- Policyholders and Their First Impressions
- Progressive Making Progress on the UBI Front
- High and Dry: Insurers Search for Disaster Recovery Plans
- Insurers Sign The (Un)Dotted Line
- Reflections of a Retired Insurance CIO
- Mobile Device Management Just One Answer to BYOD Issue
- Lessons from GEICO and Progressive on Winning the Critical Buying Stage
- You Are a Target for a Cyber Attack
- Web-based Systems are the Next Evolution in Claims Technology
- Gaining a “Wow” Experience from Web Users
- Time to Shift from Business/IT Alignment to Business/IT Alliance
- Healthcare Insurers Changing to Consumer Model
- Organization is the Key for Selecting Software Vendors
- Analysts Expound on the Needs of the Mid-tier Insurance Market
- Finding the Cure for Obamacare’s Website
- New Software Solutions Benefit Insurers on the Inside and Outside
- Products, Market Impede Investment in Systems for Life Insurers
- Combatting Cyber Threats: Predict, Prevent, Persist
- The Future of Telematics Heads Beyond Insurance
- The Shame in Cyber Security Lapses
- Building Policy Administration Systems for the Future
- Insurers Look Into The Eyes of Their Policyholders
- It’s a New Dawn for the ITA
INSURANCE IT NEWS
- Accenture Makes Strategic Investment in Digital Payments Company Imburse
- Integrity Adds Montalto United Insurance Agency to its Partners
- Analytics Provider Arturo Taps Strategic New Hires
- Claims Management Platform handdii Raises $3M
- Mark Cuban Joins dClimate as Investor and Strategic Advisor
- SafeAuto Improves Customer with Successful insured.io Implementation
- Majesco Completes Acquisition of Utilant LLC
- Insurer Websites Lag on Functionality, ACORD Study Finds
The Email Chat is a regular feature of the ITA Pro magazine and website. We send a series of questions to an insurance IT leader in search of thought-provoking responses on important issues facing the insurance industry.
ITA LIVE 2020
ITA LIVE 2020 –SAVE THE DATE!
April 5th – 7th, 2020
The Diplomat Resort
Become a member today to receive updates – www.itapro.org/MR
BLOGS AND COLUMNS
You have surely heard it said that small businesses are the growth engine for America. Today, the phrase has a special ring to it for benefits... READ MORE
With stagnant growth and lingering low interest rates, the life insurance industry faces a challenging future... READ MORE
Finding insurance carriers willing to write commercial lines risks has always been a challenge for producers... READ MORE
As Guidewire Software prepares for the start of Connections, its 11th annual user conference that begins on Nov. 2, Brian Desmond, chief marketing... READ MORE